What are some of the Major Things Crown Needs to do to take the 2012 W

Rock shows don't win.

To a certain extent, this is true. But why? IMO it is because rock music does not have varied and complex expressions. In the few situations in which a rock piece was used successfully, the staff has added additional expressions not in the original. For my taste, Crown is not nuanced enough. The shows are performed well and they are easy to understand (sometimes too easy), but they need more complexity. Not technical complexity, but emotional complexity.

Haven't read all the pages leading up to now, but my thoughts are: Replace Leon with Gaines (rumor this has already taken place) and hiring Gaines will solve the next problem, being able to integrate the color guard into the show rather than having them do their own thing without the fear of interfering with the other sections. Brass speaks for itself.

Haven't read all the pages leading up to now, but my thoughts are: Replace Leon with Gaines (rumor this has already taken place) and hiring Gaines will solve the next problem, being able to integrate the color guard into the show rather than having them do their own thing without the fear of interfering with the other sections. Brass speaks for itself.

...this just hearsay, or actually materializing? If that actually happens (in reference to the Gaines/Leon replacement), Crown might really produce a really tight visual package this year!

I couldn't agree more with this. You must understand, however, that some would see this statement as fight-worthy. But I do not believe Mr. May helped Crown much at all in the last three years. And, oh yes...PLEASE STOP ALL THE UNNECESSARY BODY MOVEMENT!

I don't think this has already happened BUT moving to Crown would make some sense -- he works with a lot of Crown's design team at Pride and elsewhere.

I kind of what to steer the discussion back to Crown from the Cadets, although their 2011 show was really great. Some have discussed that the issue of design flaw has held Crown back. Please try to provide some feedback as to what you mean by design flaw in some detail.

percussion scoring has not always been at the level of those above them.

at times visually it's a hornline, a drumline and a guard, not one entire entity. do i focus on them? or them? where?

all of the visual stuff is cool, but it does affect performance for the musicians.

I couldn't agree more with this. You must understand, however, that some would see this statement as fight-worthy. But I do not believe Mr. May helped Crown much at all in the last three years. And, oh yes...PLEASE STOP ALL THE UNNECESSARY BODY MOVEMENT!

To be completely fair to Leon, he is rarely the one that adds in body movements and dancing.

Gaines explicitly stated a few months back that he was taking a year away from DCI. At the time, people were wondering if he was on his way to SCV, so he responded with that.

Thanks for posting this before I did... I was discussing this with a couple of my former directors in high school. And to double check I did ask an alumni if it was true, and the alumni sent me a quote directly from Michael Gaines saying he was taking a break from DCI this summer. I know its about crown, but I am still very happy with what he did for the green machine! :thumbup:

I think over all Crown has the musical talent to be the champions. Drill design isn't bad at all either, I would say maybe work with the visual staff and work on cleaning the drill?? And I haven't been a huge fan of this corps for the past two seasons, so maybe work on show design?? I know I am in the minorty, but I didn't like the 2011 show. I hope they produce another 09 show... that would be GREAT!