SCV Corps Jacket Sold on eBay

As I have boxes of Drum Corps memorabilia (aka "stuff") from early 1980s: yearbooks, pins, drum corps world mags, records, tapes, videos, programs, and also personal items (jackets, finals medal, etc..), and have been thinking about selling all of it for the last couple of years, I wonder..... How will I be crucified for my efforts to share my memories with others?? Many of these items have been sitting in boxes for the last 20-30 years, unappreciated by anyone other than me. I would wish for others, with the love of drum corps, to have a piece of history. I know the very passionate "discussion" about the selling of a fmm jacket, but I would rather see it in the hands of a drum corps fan who loves and lives for the art, than just hanging in my closet (because it sure does not fit anymore - haha).

• Like 2

As I have boxes of Drum Corps memorabilia (aka "stuff") from early 1980s: yearbooks, pins, drum corps world mags, records, tapes, videos, programs, and also personal items (jackets, finals medal, etc..), and have been thinking about selling all of it for the last couple of years, I wonder..... How will I be crucified for my efforts to share my memories with others?? Many of these items have been sitting in boxes for the last 20-30 years, unappreciated by anyone other than me. I would wish for others, with the love of drum corps, to have a piece of history. I know the very passionate "discussion" about the selling of a fmm jacket, but I would rather see it in the hands of a drum corps fan who loves and lives for the art, than just hanging in my closet (because it sure does not fit anymore - haha).

Larry,

Please offer me the option of buying any of your Cavalier memorabilia first - IN PARTICULAR your corps jacket. I will give you a good price and then donate the jacket to a current marching member who can't afford his own. That's what many of us have been doing with our old member jackets the past few years.

Thanks.

P.S. I contacted the seller of the SCV jacket as soon as it was posted (but already had two small bids). I told him of the significance an item like this had within our activity and offered him a good price to end the auction (which he could have done) so that I could donate it back to SCV. He apologized for not knowing the "back story" of a corps jacket, but declined.

Edited by Paul Milano

Larry,

Please offer me the option of buying any of your Cavalier memorabilia first - IN PARTICULAR your corps jacket. I will give you a good price and then donate the jacket to a current marching member who can't afford his own. That's what many of us have been doing with our old member jackets the past few years.

Paul, While donating the jacket to the corps, if it is truly needed and will be used, is a great idea and one I would do without any need to be bought, two questions JUMPED at me: 1) How can a current marching member afford pay the $$$$$ to march, but not be able to afford a jacket? 2) Who would want to wear an almost 30 year old jacket, while their brothers are sporting new shiny jackets? (seems doubtful to me) As an 18 year old in 84 I would have had no desire to wear someone else's jacket from the 50s (or is that just me being shallow - haha). I am trying to be serious and not an ###, but is this just about keeping a jacket out of non-fmm hands? Thanks

Paul, While donating the jacket to the corps, if it is truly needed and will be used, is a great idea and one I would do without any need to be bought, two questions JUMPED at me: 1) How can a current marching member afford pay the $$$$$ to march, but not be able to afford a jacket? 2) Who would want to wear an almost 30 year old jacket, while their brothers are sporting new shiny jackets? (seems doubtful to me) As an 18 year old in 84 I would have had no desire to wear someone else's jacket from the 50s (or is that just me being shallow - haha). I am trying to be serious and not an ###, but is this just about keeping a jacket out of non-fmm hands? Thanks

Hey Larry,

Certainly one of the motivations for me is not having the jacket owned by a non-FMM, as we were asked to do when buying our jacket back in my day (and I'm told has continued to be the request when purchasing jackets).

But more importantly, YES, current marching members have accepted "vintage" jackets with tremendous gratitude and pride. Some have even received "Chicago Cavalier" jackets from the 50s and been thrilled! You can not imagine the look on the face of the member I gave my old jacket to even though it was a bit small for him (he just rolled up the sleeves and literally ran to his buddies to show them.

The members do come up with a lot of money to march, but there are dozens each year who do that through great sacrifice and buying a jacket ($100+ these days?) is just too much to add.

You can contact Alumni Association President, Chris Hartowicz, at splooie@aol.com to coordinate the donation of the jacket.

Thanks for responding. Say hi to any of my southern friends down by you from my days with Spirit of Atlanta if you see them!

You can contact Alumni Association President, Chris Hartowicz, at splooie@aol.com to coordinate the donation of the jacket.

Thanks for responding. Say hi to any of my southern friends down by you from my days with Spirit of Atlanta if you see them!

Paul, I will get in touch with Chris about donating my jacket, and thanks for the info. As a side note - You "hit the nail on the head" with your "say hi" comment. I marched with Hunter Moss in CV a few years ago, and other Spirit alumni, but living in Alabama leaves me lacking in the Drum Corps realm. I flew up to 3 rehearsals of the Anniversary Corps 888, but had to drop out due to travel difficulties. Too many hours and miles to travel, and too few opportunities to connect with my peeps down here. Growing up in Michigan in the early 80s, drum corps were everywhere it seemed, in the midwest and east. It is the very rare day that I run into someone (anyone) down here that has even heard of The Cavaliers. So while I still love to watch, listen, and currently play in the Rocketeers min-corps from Huntsville, I find myself wanting to share the "treasures" that I have collected over the years. Hello Ebay, haha. Take care, brother.

Paul, I will get in touch with Chris about donating my jacket, and thanks for the info. As a side note - You "hit the nail on the head" with your "say hi" comment. I marched with Hunter Moss in CV a few years ago, and other Spirit alumni, but living in Alabama leaves me lacking in the Drum Corps realm. I flew up to 3 rehearsals of the Anniversary Corps 888, but had to drop out due to travel difficulties. Too many hours and miles to travel, and too few opportunities to connect with my peeps down here. Growing up in Michigan in the early 80s, drum corps were everywhere it seemed, in the midwest and east. It is the very rare day that I run into someone (anyone) down here that has even heard of The Cavaliers. So while I still love to watch, listen, and currently play in the Rocketeers min-corps from Huntsville, I find myself wanting to share the "treasures" that I have collected over the years. Hello Ebay, haha. Take care, brother.

Very cool. Thanks so much for doing this.

Yep, the Anniversary Corps 888 was tough for me to do to (living in Atlanta at the time). Thought about dropping out a couple times. It wound up being a lot of fun but would be tough to do again if I hadn't moved back to Chicago shortly afterward.

Do the Rocketeers go to DCA? I go with a bunch of Cavalier buddies every year. Mini-corps night is the best! I'll hook up with you if you're there next Labor Day weekend.

See ya'.

DCI is also collecting memorabilia for a hoped for future drum corps museum connected with the office in Indy, one that would be especially active during the week of World Championships. Much of this involves the massive contribution by Steve Vickers of Drum Corps World, which is to be digitized and made available online.