SCV Corps Jacket Sold on eBay

As a ten year member of Bugles Across America I ask that you to not become too obsessed with buglers playing Taps and their uniforms. While I don't wear the BAA approved uniform others do. Much work went into it's development so that it would make the bugler appear official without infringing upon the official military uniform. BAA uniform

Please re-read, it's not me with the heartburn it's some of the officers currently in service. And this guy doesn't wear it just during the ceremony. He wears it all day in a building with military. (There is plenty of opportunities for him to change clothes.)

My feelings are it's an office setting (converted warehouse but still an office setting) and having one of the civilians dress like this all day is distracting. I know he's proud to play (not sure if he's BAA or another group) but feel he's acting like it's more about him than what he is doing. If you knew him and his personality that would make more sense.

Edit: Guy walking around in an office setting wearing Camo all day in this age of workplace violence? :shutup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Any word on who bought the jacket? I would hope that the jacket be returned to the hall, and if Brian ever comes back to claim it, have a firm talking to by some of the other alumni from that season....

Great idea! Maybe you can have him give up his belly button or take away his sense of humor. What? Not vigilante enough? Are you gonna curb him? Is he dissin' the corps' street cred?

Let me guess; you like and firmly believe in "school pride."

• Like 1

It just occurred to me that given the lack of year patch and Finals patch, maybe the original owner of the jacket didn't finish out the season? Either that, or perhaps it was lost on tour. Just speculating here...

To Paul M: As someone who marched the same era you did, thank you for your efforts in trying to acquire and donate the jacket; your heart was in the right place. :thumbup:

Edited by TRacer

• 4 years later...

I've had a lot of important things stolen, but none do wish I could get back than my SCV jacket. I fell asleep at a bus station for 15 minutes (trying to stay awake, fearing theft, after a looooong volunteer weekend in 2014) The theif took a bag containing the jacket. I hawked over craigslist and eBay for months but it became apparent that the thief likely had no idea how important or historically valuable the jacket is, with great regret I've come to peace with it being gone and that is most likely at the bottom of a landfill. What people may not realize are the three components this jacket represented in my life and to the corps. The jacket itself merely proves that I was a member of the hornline at some unspecified time. It's the Star and Shield that are truly irreplaceable. Many affix lots of patches but I only put on one- my 1997 A Corps Shield. 1997 represents a rebirth of a corps still reeling from the death of Gail Royer, it was in 1997 that the corps reclaimed it's spot amoung the world's VERY best. It was our first medal-finish since the championship in 1989. That shield represents everything we did to bring the corps back and secure its future; proving that we were NOT falling apart as many began to fear. The Star is the actual Star I wore on my uniform Finals Night that year--the proudest moment, the happiest moment, the most emotional moment of my little life. It really hurt to lose those things, but it doesn't change the fact that I was there, also I don't need to "prove" my talent or my experience to anyone, not anymore, also in 2016 I think I am too fat and old to wear corps jackets. Some of us West-Coasters have decided that there comes a time when we outgrow the jacket. I don't need to go to a show and "show off" who I am or what I've done. I can cry like a schoolgirl when SCV puts on a great show, or when they play "Send in the Clowns" ....you need only to look into my eyes in those moments to know who I am and where I've been. I ordered a small gold star from the corps online store and wear it on my lapel. It is barely visible, but it is more than enough. As for the Jacket, Star and Sheild...se la vi. I will miss them but the piece of #### who stole it can never take away my memories or my experience for me? THAT is my Star and Shield. I'm far from the only alumni who would kill to get a lost, missing or stolen piece of memorabilia back. Take solace in what's inside your heart and just let those external symbols from our youth go. Let go of it and you'll be able to move on (as you can clearly I've been able to do) ;)

I know one individual who has been busted lying about marching 3 different places

I am aware of two individuals busted pretending to be BD alumni (both were cut) at least one SCV poseur... And I marched in a Sr. Corps to remain nameless alongside an individual claiming to have marched Rosemont, his talent was quite suspect, we looked into it and could find no record of his ever being a member. I guess it's sort of a compliment that it's such a big deal to be a part of a championship level corps that we've got as many poseurs pretending to be DCI alums as politicians claiming to be "veterans" of one form or another. Also a handful that conveniently leave out that they never marched in the A Corps. "Yeah I marched BD for three years"="I marched BD B for three years, I got cut from the A Corps my age out year so I just leave out the "B" when asked" sounds legit.

It's called Stolen Valor in the military, and definitely not cool.

Yep. And it's a felony. As it should be.

• Like 1

Yep. And it's a felony. As it should be.

Unfortunately, last I heard the courts are giving these guys a pass due to freedom of speech issues or something like that.

Unfortunately, last I heard the courts are giving these guys a pass due to freedom of speech issues or something like that.

Oh wow. That really sucks. I know Stolen Valor is taken very seriously out here in San Diego where i am stationed at.

Oh wow. That really sucks. I know Stolen Valor is taken very seriously out here in San Diego where i am stationed at.

I'll see if I can dig up a link. I know the first time it passed (Fed law) it got shot down by the courts. They tried again with a rewrite which I think is still around, but few folks have been convicted of it.

I don't know what's going on at the State level.

Edited by CrownBariDad