Phantom Regiment 2012

I feel like there's a big ... addition waiting to be added to this show. It's not something that there is much precedent for in drum corps, so far as I know. I hesitate to speculate out loud about this - for one thing, because spoiling a surprise might detract from the impact when it's used. And for another, I don't see how it relates to the opera itself, or could be made to fit. Something in the package surrounding the show is giving me an image. So, I could be entirely wrong - I don't have any insider information obviously. But is anybody else getting the same feeling I am?

haha we have a winner for the most vague post in the thread. :tongue:

Yup! They're at Frostburg State in Maryland right now. Can't wait to see what the show looks like coming out of there!

Maybe they are putting the 'frosting' on the cake now! ;)

Phantom is slowly closing the gap behind BD. I'm expecting great things these next two weeks! Phantom is never really expected by the drum corps community to do much and people tend to ignore them when talking about corps making jumps in placements. I love the end of season surge. This one may surprise people.

I totally agree! Every year when I see the "pre-season predictions" threads, I'm always rather shocked at how low people put Regiment. It's rarely above 6th and usually between 7th-9th.

Regiment hasnt been consistent when it comes to staying in the top 3 (lately) but I think they've been consistent enough for people to expect a little better. Out of the past 20 years they've really only had about 3 or 4 "bad" years...

• Like 1

expecting them to make some major change like they have some other years kind of puts them on dangerous ground (no 93 pun intended). If they don't make a major change, will you feel let down?

I won't, I like the show as it stands. If they have something up their sleeve, great. But I'm not expecting it.

The other thing I'm wishing for (other than, you know, the big thing I think they're doing) is a voiceover at the end - the Toscannini quote - "Here the opera ends, because at this point the maestro died."

I think you're the 1st ever person on DCP to call for a voiceover.... controversial!

Not a voiceover fan but I'm open to anything if it works.

Watching the opera (on a site that will be unnamed) as well as the DVD -- I want to see the coronation where the Ice Proncess accepts his diety - and is crowned with the assemblage all around (the guard) in front of the HUGE pagoda (that adorns the stage in the actual opera) dead center on the 50...........

I totally agree! Every year when I see the "pre-season predictions" threads, I'm always rather shocked at how low people put Regiment. It's rarely above 6th and usually between 7th-9th.

Regiment hasnt been consistent when it comes to staying in the top 3 (lately) but I think they've been consistent enough for people to expect a little better. Out of the past 20 years they've really only had about 3 or 4 "bad" years...

But think about it.

- I doubt many expected would've anticipated how the season for the Cavies has gone, and

- PR lost its brass arranger to a close competitor.

I think a prediction of sixth year in and out would normally be a pretty solid pick. Plus, I like being pleasantly surprised.