So many corps, so little time

Hola! I'm a mellophone player in Pembroke Pines, Florida (Southern Florida). I remember watching DCI when I joined my school's marching band, and being completely blown away. Some of my favorite corps include Spirit of Atlanta, The Academy, Spartans, SCV, and Phantom Regiment. I'm still wondering what corps would be best for me (i'm 14 and a freshman in high school), and what I can do to be a stronger player. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Ethan,

I am a drummer, but I have been around young musicians for a long time. I don't know what the background of your band instructors is. Sometimes everyone comes from a reed and or string background, but if someone at your school has a brass background it wouldn[t hurt to ask for help, IMO. Pembroke Pines was the home of a superb Drum Corps, Suncoast Sound. Try a Google search to see if any of their brass alumni are in the area and teaching.

Lots of folks on this site who know a lot more than I do, so stay connected.When it comes to picking a Corps to audition for, I guess you would have to follow your heart. I wouldn't rule out Teal Sound to begin with right now. They may have openings - still a long commute for a youngster, then moving up to Spirit, but I can understand the position that if everyone leaves their starting Corps to move up, how will they get any better.

Good luck and much success

Kevin Doherty

Ethan,

Forgot to mention that a top 6 Corps I am familiar with only considers kids 18 and older, usually in college and usally music majors. They are not one of the Corps you listed, but you may want to look up the membership pages for each of the Corps you mentioned.

You may have to start in a Corps that accepts younger members before moving up. Also there are all-age Corps who accept High School age members. Look around on the DCA site.

Your biggest barrier over the next few years will be transportation. Even if your parents fly you to camp. someone will have to pick you up at the other end or you would have to take a cab, and I don't mean a Caballero

Kevin

Tampa Bay Thunder All - Age Corps accepts members as young as 14. They were DCA finalist last year so they have some. Here's your opportunity, but you better get on it quick. They don't audition forever. If you just want lessons for now contact them anyway. Plenty of folks on their Brass staff. For information go to the DCA web site and click on their link or google them. Good luck.

Meant to say some juice.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you SOO SOOOOO much

Ethan,

I am a drummer, but I have been around young musicians for a long time. I don't know what the background of your band instructors is. Sometimes everyone comes from a reed and or string background, but if someone at your school has a brass background it wouldn[t hurt to ask for help, IMO. Pembroke Pines was the home of a superb Drum Corps, Suncoast Sound. Try a Google search to see if any of their brass alumni are in the area and teaching.

Lots of folks on this site who know a lot more than I do, so stay connected.When it comes to picking a Corps to audition for, I guess you would have to follow your heart. I wouldn't rule out Teal Sound to begin with right now. They may have openings - still a long commute for a youngster, then moving up to Spirit, but I can understand the position that if everyone leaves their starting Corps to move up, how will they get any better.

Good luck and much success

Kevin Doherty

No content. Did you intend to reply?

Part 2. What are you doing with the information?

Kevin

Ethan.

Oops missed it. I am used to looking at the bottom and your response was at the top, My apologies.

Still trying to figure out the blue box. Not getting much help.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I'm going to march in Teal Sound for the 2013 season since it's close by and I have feeling that the corps will grow a lot more. Sooner or later, join either Spirit of Atlanta or The Boston Crusaders, and eventually (hopefully) join Phantom Regiment.