The Summer of '76

Of all the years of drum corps that I did, 1976 was, in my opinion, the greatest!

The year saw the merging of Toronto Optimist and Seneca Princemen to form The Seneca Optimists to compete against a merger from last year, Oakland Crusaders. Saturday August 7th saw the first major DCI regional in Whitewater where the Blue Devils beat SC Vanguard, Phantom, Madison, Cavies, Oakies,Freelancers, Guardsmen and Kingsmen.

The next regional at DCI North saw Blue Devile win agin but Seneca took 5th place beating out 27th Lancer, Kingsmen, Squires and Marquis. Freelancers won the American-International Open in Butler by defeating the Kingsmen and Argonne Rebels. At Marion, OH US Open, Oakland Crusaders beat out Phantom Regiment in prelims by almost a point but Phantom roared back in finals to beat Oakies by .9.

At DCI Championships (A-Class and All Girl)Wausau Story and St. Ignatius won prelims and Finals to take those championships. Blue Devils were the powerhouse corps all year and won both prelims and finals.

The season wasn't over as there were several shows after to include DCI West won by the Argonauts who knocked out the Commodores,Knight Raiders and others. The UOEC prelims saw the Garfield Cadets in first but the Bridgemen took the finals. There were 8 shows after DCI championships back then.

Canadian Nationals saw Oakland beat out Seneca, Ventures, Cardinals, Flying Dutchmen,Les Chatelaines, Marionettes,St. John's Girls and Dutchboy Cadets. The final Junior contest was on September 4th for the Eastern States Championships. This show saw Crossmen clearly ahead of the following: Meadowlarks, St. Ignatius, Belvederes,Townsmen, CMCC Warriors, Black Watch (NJ), Royales,Bux-Mont Raiders,Imperial Guardsmen,Sacred Heart Crusaders and the Rough Riders.

I should add that Toledo's Key To The Sea was won by Phantom Regiment. CYO was won by Blue Devils and VFW Nationals were won by The Cavaliers. Also, Blue Devils won World Open.

Several dissappointments that year were Anaheim, Muchachos, Squires, Kilties, Bleu raeders and even NY's Greece Cadets (after winning Class A the previous year).

Any other things I missed?

The first year with a full tour schedule through the South -- Royal Crusaders and Blue Stars (I forget who else) did several shows together on that tour...

Phantom drum major playing the rifle/flag "pipe organ" during Toccata and Fugue in concert...

The Bridgemen...

I would only add that, in my opinion, one thing happened that year that changed drum corp forever; BD's drill. I remember standing in the stands in Allentown watching their show from high above. Up until then almost everyone was still doing files, echelons, straight lines, etc. BD came out with this amazing drill with shapes magically bending and turning into new shapes throughout the show. Truly a game changing year.

Secondly, it was in 76 that Phantom really started becoming a powerhouse.

Also, there still was carry over from the Muchacho incident. I remember before the year started, we couldn’t march if we didn’t submit a valid birth certificate by a certain time. Also, we were asked to carry around our birth certificate during the season in case someone from DCI asked for it.

Of all the years of drum corps that I did, 1976 was, in my opinion, the greatest!

The year saw the merging of Toronto Optimist and Seneca Princemen to form The Seneca Optimists to compete against a merger from last year, Oakland Crusaders. Saturday August 7th saw the first major DCI regional in Whitewater where the Blue Devils beat SC Vanguard, Phantom, Madison, Cavies, Oakies,Freelancers, Guardsmen and Kingsmen.

The next regional at DCI North saw Blue Devile win agin but Seneca took 5th place beating out 27th Lancer, Kingsmen, Squires and Marquis. Freelancers won the American-International Open in Butler by defeating the Kingsmen and Argonne Rebels. At Marion, OH US Open, Oakland Crusaders beat out Phantom Regiment in prelims by almost a point but Phantom roared back in finals to beat Oakies by .9.

At DCI Championships (A-Class and All Girl)Wausau Story and St. Ignatius won prelims and Finals to take those championships. Blue Devils were the powerhouse corps all year and won both prelims and finals.

The season wasn't over as there were several shows after to include DCI West won by the Argonauts who knocked out the Commodores,Knight Raiders and others. The UOEC prelims saw the Garfield Cadets in first but the Bridgemen took the finals. There were 8 shows after DCI championships back then.

Canadian Nationals saw Oakland beat out Seneca, Ventures, Cardinals, Flying Dutchmen,Les Chatelaines, Marionettes,St. John's Girls and Dutchboy Cadets. The final Junior contest was on September 4th for the Eastern States Championships. This show saw Crossmen clearly ahead of the following: Meadowlarks, St. Ignatius, Belvederes,Townsmen, CMCC Warriors, Black Watch (NJ), Royales,Bux-Mont Raiders,Imperial Guardsmen,Sacred Heart Crusaders and the Rough Riders.

I should add that Toledo's Key To The Sea was won by Phantom Regiment. CYO was won by Blue Devils and VFW Nationals were won by The Cavaliers. Also, Blue Devils won World Open.

Several dissappointments that year were Anaheim, Muchachos, Squires, Kilties, Bleu raeders and even NY's Greece Cadets (after winning Class A the previous year).

Any other things I missed?

Keith,

A good source tells me an effort is being made to bring Canadian Corps back into DCI competition on the WC level. Don't know whether it will work, but I offer my best wishes to those who are trying.

Where's your response to the march thread? You started it, then you disappeared. Come back, Lassie.

Kevin

"Spirits of 76":

I'll allways remember the year of the "Buy-Centenial" as the season that the Madison Scouts JUNKED their ENTIRE SHOW after "First Tour", went back into "Camp" and came out with a rip-roaring "Second Season" that took them to a second place finish at DCI Philly.

I'll always maintain that if they had had another day of practice they would have won.

Elphaba

• Like 1

Which one?

Keith,

A good source tells me an effort is being made to bring Canadian Corps back into DCI competition on the WC level. Don't know whether it will work, but I offer my best wishes to those who are trying.

Where's your response to the march thread? You started it, then you disappeared. Come back, Lassie.

Kevin

Keith, I agree... 1976 was a great year.

The sheer excellence of the Blue Devils, with their push-the-envelope show.

The revitalized Bridgemen turning the notion of "traditional drum corps" upside down and inside out.

The amazing season-long transformation of the Madison Scouts, who scrapped huge chunks of their show and basically started over during the summer... and still ended up in a solid second place at DCI Finals.

Phantom Regiment making a big move up the competitive ladder.

Many other stories as well. Great summer for DCI.

"Spirits of 76":

I'll allways remember the year of the "Buy-Centenial" as the season that the Madison Scouts JUNKED their ENTIRE SHOW after "First Tour", went back into "Camp" and came out with a rip-roaring "Second Season" that took them to a second place finish at DCI Philly.

I'll always maintain that if they had had another day of practice they would have won.

I will agree to disagree with you on this one.

IMO, the Blue Devils were too good to lose that championship. A caption sweep at Finals that year.

I'm glad to see someone thinks 76 was a great year. For me, it was the year I really discovered drum corps. I'm from the Boston area and marched in a CYO Band, St. Joseph's, Medway, MA. It all started with seeing CYO Circuit Sr. drum corps in competition. Can't remember who was in the show, but it was probably Holy Family Defenders, St. Francis Sancians, Pembroke Imperials, perhaps North Star or BAC. I never saw anything like them, then after the show, while they were packing upequipment, a corps was being lectured because the show was not perfect. If that was imperfection, I could not wait to see perfection. In 1976 I also saw what would become my all-time favorite drum corps, the 27th Lancers. I know Isaw them prior to the CYO Nationals in August and the DCI telecast on PBS, perhaps only in exhibition or in a parade, but I can't remember when, all I know is anytime I saw them afterward, I always believed they were robbed if they didn't take home first place.

I saw the Kilties that year too. It was one of their rougher years, but I didn't know it. Also saw the Troopers that year. People stood on their seats to get a better view of the sunburst. It was North Star's first year. A fire in an equipment truck destroyed their uniforms, but they marched in red tee shirts and black pants. Talk about that old time East Coast drum corps grit. It was also the year of BAC and North Star competed against each other, and North Star won a show without full uniform against BAC. What differentiated the two? A uniform penalty! Talk about an uproar. Madison recreated the Iwo Jima memorial. I didn't know enough about drum corps yet to appreciate the Blue Devils or those radicals the Bridgemen.

None of the corps I enjoyed that summer peaked that year and each had better seasons that would follow, but for a thirteen year old clarinetist who secretly used to wish his CYO band was a drum corps, it was heaven on earth and the beginning of years of treasured memories from great corps. And if you were a Kiltie,Trooper, Blue Devil, or Madison Scout, even a Bridgemen, thanks for great memories, and if you're a North Star I love and miss you, a 27th Lancer, I'll always revere you (I know, very bad pun, but the sentiment is real), and BAC, thanks for keeping the tradition alive!

Edited by Tim K