The Summer of '76

I would only add that, in my opinion, one thing happened that year that changed drum corp forever; BD's drill. I remember standing in the stands in Allentown watching their show from high above. Up until then almost everyone was still doing files, echelons, straight lines, etc. BD came out with this amazing drill with shapes magically bending and turning into new shapes throughout the show. Truly a game changing year.

Secondly, it was in 76 that Phantom really started becoming a powerhouse.

Also, there still was carry over from the Muchacho incident. I remember before the year started, we couldn’t march if we didn’t submit a valid birth certificate by a certain time. Also, we were asked to carry around our birth certificate during the season in case someone from DCI asked for it.

especially for those corps or management who may have been involved in 75....those directors were extremely careful the next year knowing some may come after them. Vengence ( so to speak ) wasnt un heard of BITD although many of us would love to think it was a Utopia..lol

especially for those corps or management who may have been involved in 75....those directors were extremely careful the next year knowing some may come after them. Vengence ( so to speak ) wasnt un heard of BITD although many of us would love to think it was a Utopia..lol

It was Utopia 'cause it was my age out year and have a birth certificate to prove it lol Good thing I didn't leave my boots on the field; had 3 wonderful years after age out marching with a touring, non-competitive corps with a high performance expectation that delivered a product of entertainment and excellence :D

The amount of corps that competed at DCI Championships in Philadelphia was awesome! Watching the rest of Class A prelims and then all of Open Class prelims will always stay in my mind. Our moment in the sun wilted us due to our director resigning prior to the corps leaving North Tonawanda. It felt like being in a boat without a rudder (maybe even oars).

Watching Wausau Story at prelims playing "Bohemian Rhapsody" and doing a company front Monkee Walk...wow!

Beating our rivals, Imperial Regiment, twice was great. When our corps was on the verge of ending I was hoping that we would have merged with them...they had a dynamite drum line and we had the horn line. Probably could have put the Buffalo area on the map as far as DCI goes. IR had some talented staff members in Craig and Marcia Fattey and Bob Suhina. We had Ted Key and Bob Stone plus both corps had talented color guard staff.

I loved Bridgemen and thought that they and Blue Devils would forever change DCI.

Some great memories...Keep them coming!

• Like 1

You're right! As far as vengence and rivalries, Drum Corps today is a constant "Kumbaya" moment in comparrison.

76 was the first time i saw the Kingsmen in whitewater. Next year i marched with them.

I am guessing The Cavaliers were pretty strict about birth certificates in '77.

You're right! As far as vengence and rivalries, Drum Corps today is a constant "Kumbaya" moment in comparrison.

• Like 1

Does Drums Along The Rockies count? SORRY WRONG YEAR!

Edited by LancerFi

Keith,

A good source tells me an effort is being made to bring Canadian Corps back into DCI competition on the WC level. Don't know whether it will work, but I offer my best wishes to those who are trying.

Where's your response to the march thread? You started it, then you disappeared. Come back, Lassie.

Kevin

Where the hell did you hear this ?

March thread???

Keith,

A good source tells me an effort is being made to bring Canadian Corps back into DCI competition on the WC level. Don't know whether it will work, but I offer my best wishes to those who are trying.

Where's your response to the march thread? You started it, then you disappeared. Come back, Lassie.

Kevin