Would the end of football mean the end of drum corps?

Boy, you just don't know when to quit, do you?

LOL.. people griping about people griping.....

LOL.. people griping about people griping.....

I wish to gripe about your observation, but I fear the universe might open up another black hole.

• Like 1

I wish to gripe about your observation, but I fear the universe might open up another black hole.

Parallel Universe looking at a parallel universe looking at....

Cue Futureama episode where the Professor creates a parallel universe in a box. And in that episode their professor has a box containing the original universe.... wait a minute... :blink:

+1 for you Mike, I needed a laugh this week.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

Boy, you just don't know when to quit, do you?

hey, like any good comedian, you use the lines that work

:tongue:

• Like 2

I think the activity will enevitably die (or evolve) long before a lack of football programs will have any effect. Like Mr. Boo said in his opening post, districts everywhere have arts on the chopping block and while they most have managed to slip by year after year, it's only a matter of time before the districts are forced to start making bigger cuts in order to balance their budgets.

In my county, for instance, they cut everything but school arts projects last year when they were faced with a $50m deficit. Now here we are a year later, with a $26m deficit remaining and school music programs are at the top of a very small list of likely cuts. I theorize that it will start small, partially merging school bands to the point that they either share instruments and a director or a full on merger where the music students meet as some sort of afterschool elective, thus turning it into a community band. From there you can see how it would be a quick drop off.

Of course, this is probably just me being overly cynical and pessimistic, but I don't see the future of arts in schools faring too well. As a future Music Educator, this scares the hell out of me because I'm too invested in my education to start over, but the fear of potentially never finding a job in my degree field has me wishing I could go back and choose another career path.

Just my $.02

:(

Football won't go away. Nor should it. It could change substantially, at least at the high school level. It's similar to the early 1900s when football was on the verge of being outlawed . . . several dozen universities met together and came up with the forward pass, which opened the game up and made it substantially safer. Similarly drastic rule changes could eventually come about at the high school level.

Even if football somehow disappeared, both drum corps and marching band are adaptable enough and established enough to find a way to survive. I don't know what magical states some people on this thread are living in where marching bands actually receive funding from schools, but most marching bands I know are entirely self-funded outside the BD's salary. No reason to think these programs would be cut, as there's nothing to cut. Outside the directors themselves, of course.

I've found the discussion over concussions and potential long-term injuries in football fascinating. Some of the rhetoric mirrors the flippant dismissar I've heard from members, staff, and even one corps director (it was a while ago, though) regarding long-term health issues in drum corps.

This thread has seemed to have have gotten a little off track. I stand to be corrected, but I think NE Brigand really wanted to get at the issue of injuries, not football fields. I commented several months ago over a question about whether drummers should have practice stands or not, and that they should. The injury potential is not head trauma (heh, heh, heh - not getting into this subject), it is musculo-skeletal trauma. Many Corps recognize this and have conditioning programs.

Neverthless, it doesn't eliminate the possibility of e.g. a compressed spinal disk because you've been hauling around a Tuba twelve or more hours a day for 56 consecutive days, that no amount of Icey-Hot will ever relieve .

I have seen some comments that indicate that one was tougher in the older days. No way. DC was a weekend activity and 56 consecutive days didn't happen.

As for the football field issue, so what? Remember Wind Band?

• Like 4