Would the end of football mean the end of drum corps?

This thread has seemed to have have gotten a little off track. I stand to be corrected, but I think NE Brigand really wanted to get at the issue of injuries, not football fields. I commented several months ago over a question about whether drummers should have practice stands or not, and that they should. The injury potential is not head trauma (heh, heh, heh - not getting into this subject), it is musculo-skeletal trauma. Many Corps recognize this and have conditioning programs.

Neverthless, it doesn't eliminate the possibility of e.g. a compressed spinal disk because you've been hauling around a Tuba twelve or more hours a day for 56 consecutive days, that no amount of Icey-Hot will ever relieve .

I have seen some comments that indicate that one was tougher in the older days. No way. DC was a weekend activity and 56 consecutive days didn't happen.

As for the football field issue, so what? Remember Wind Band?

You are right. But with spring training it's more like 90 straight days.

• Like 1

This thread has seemed to have have gotten a little off track. I stand to be corrected, but I think NE Brigand really wanted to get at the issue of injuries, not football fields. I commented several months ago over a question about whether drummers should have practice stands or not, and that they should. The injury potential is not head trauma (heh, heh, heh - not getting into this subject), it is musculo-skeletal trauma. Many Corps recognize this and have conditioning programs.

Neverthless, it doesn't eliminate the possibility of e.g. a compressed spinal disk because you've been hauling around a Tuba twelve or more hours a day for 56 consecutive days, that no amount of Icey-Hot will ever relieve .

I have seen some comments that indicate that one was tougher in the older days. No way. DC was a weekend activity and 56 consecutive days didn't happen.

As for the football field issue, so what? Remember Wind Band?

(Whistle) Ten yard penalty for interrupting our off-tangent excursion and putting the slot car back in its track. :ph34r:

I hear ya... did weekend warrior corps with 2 nights a week full corps practice. But last two summers I was working 40 hrs a week in a warehouse with concrete floors and all walking. By end of 2nd summer my knees were swelling up and stiff as Hades in bus A/C. Next three years was on my feet full time at a job but no corps. After that I was in with the orthopedic guy trying all types of meds as nerve endings in the knees were inflamed as Hades.

Yeah, lot to be said for recovery time....

Boy, you just don't know when to quit, do you?

So you DON'T want corps to turn into local community-serving organizations primarily designed to instill values of citizenship and patriotism in membership? You gotta pick one, man!

I don't think football COULD disappear at the professional level; there is simply too much money. Ergo, there would still be venues for major shows. This would likely result in a super-corps scenario. Hm...

• Like 3

I don't sense the end of football would have any effect whatsoever on the drum corps activity, but the end of "Packer" football would pretty much stop the world from spinning and all life would cease to exist. :blink:

This thread has seemed to have have gotten a little off track. I stand to be corrected, but I think N.E. Brigand really wanted to get at the issue of injuries, not football fields.

Still standing? I'm very loose when it comes to discussion threads I start, and like when they meander into consideration of topics only tangentially related. I'm always disappointed when a thread's initiator asks for it be closed down for supposedly running off-topic.

So no, I wasn't thinking about injuries within drum corps, or even of football fields (though I should have), but about whether concern over head injuries in football would result in the demise of football, particularly high school football, and therefore to the loss of marching bands, whose membership perhaps is now the base from which drum corps membership is drawn. But do carry on the conversation in any way which most interests you.

And while I'm on, or off, the topic: several people have talked about the impact of school funding troubles on music programs. Let me recommend an excellent if only tangentially-related documentary that I saw a week ago: Brookyln Castle, about a middle school chess program in New York. Somewhat topical and a lot of fun, and probably coming to an art house near you later this year.

Still standing? I'm very loose when it comes to discussion threads I start, and like when they meander into consideration of topics only tangentially related. I'm always disappointed when a thread's initiator asks for it be closed down for supposedly running off-topic.

So no, I wasn't thinking about injuries within drum corps, or even of football fields (though I should have), but about whether concern over head injuries in football would result in the demise of football, particularly high school football, and therefore to the loss of marching bands, whose membership perhaps is now the base from which drum corps membership is drawn. But do carry on the conversation in any way which most interests you.

And while I'm on, or off, the topic: several people have talked about the impact of school funding troubles on music programs. Let me recommend an excellent if only tangentially-related documentary that I saw a week ago: Brookyln Castle, about a middle school chess program in New York. Somewhat topical and a lot of fun, and probably coming to an art house near you later this year.

This is the way I interpreted your post, Brigand. But after thinking about it while I've been absent, I recall all the stories here about practicing in parking lots and cow pastures. Somehow, I think that if you could find a flat spot that you could line, with maybe some hills, or even trees worth climbing, nearby, fans would pack the home side and enjoy the show.

"If you build it..." most certainly applies to drum corps fans.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

So you DON'T want corps to turn into local community-serving organizations primarily designed to instill values of citizenship and patriotism in membership? You gotta pick one, man!

Why can't people like or want both community based (we still have some) and big time touring corps?

Not that I care about the count, but why would I get a red neg for my last?

Does somebody NOT think fans would come?

:blink:

Didn't get it either.... well now you're back to zero, nil, null, zilch, nada, nichts....