Do you think going DI/World Class caused some corps to fold?

This just shows that you don't have the first clue what you're talking about. The financial obligations of Teal Sound the last two years in Open Class and the first two years in World Class were pretty much the same. One of the important things about the DCI World Class evaluation process is that they want to see if a corps can operate at a world class level BEFORE they are invited in. Teal Sound proved they belonged in spades.

Additionally, when a corps enters World Class, they don't magically gain new expenses. If anything, it's a bit easier to balance income vs. expenses because of the larger payout over the course of a season. You're also wrong about Teal having little outside income. They play several convention events during the off-season, and that has provided a really nice chunk of change to the corps (not to mention parades during the season).

It's pretty clear that you have an ax to grind against Teal Sound, for whatever reason (your posting history points to this), but here's fun fact for you:

Did you know that Teal Sound has been in continuous operation longer than any corps in Florida history? No time off. Constant growth. Modest goals. You know who you can't say that about? Suncoast Sound, Florida Wave, Magic of Orlando, etc, etc...

John -

No hard feeling's here, far from it. As I stated , I wish them the very best. My post was clear separating inside the lines and outside the lines. I stated they have done very well inside the lines but please do not pretend to know the inner workings of the Board or Budget for them......All the teams listed and monay others you are 100% correct can't say the same and it all has to do with money. Teal has only been in World Class for 3 years of the 11 year history. Its only the past three years that is hurting them due to the huge expense of operating a World Class drum corps....but again time will tell!

JVN

On the contrary, it seems to me that most corps that have moved to world class were ready when they did it. The issue is sustaining that level of health.

If they can't "sustain that level of heath", they were not ready when they moved.

I find this statement fascinating.

That's fine, because I found your above statement fascinating as well.

I see 8 corps currently in world class who came from lower classes. Which of those corps do you think should go back to open class? And is it correct to assume that you believe the other 15 corps all to be sufficiently healthy from a financial and business standpoint?

I'll start with the obvious. Pioneer has absolutely no business being in World Class for reasons to numerous to count. In addition, I would add that any corps that is not able to field a corps of at least 128 members and an average sized hornline of at LEAST 56 does not belong in World Class. Do the Math, that means most of the corps below 17th place.

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 3

I'll start with the obvious. Pioneer has absolutely no business being in World Class for reasons to numerous to count. In addition, I would add that any corps that is not able to field a corps of at least 128 members and an average sized hornline of at LEAST 56 does not belong in World Class. Do the Math, that means most of the corps below 17th place.

How is it obvious? Pioneer has been pulling a full tour while remaining financially stable for almost two decades. Maybe they don't meet your standards for World Class, but they meet DCI's (y'know, the ones that matter) . . . and in fact adhere to them more closely than some finalist corps have in the recent past.

• Like 1

Well, you'd be right *if* size was a major criteria of fielding a world class corps. It's not. Heck, it's not even in the Top Ten List of important things a world class corps needs to do to maintain that status.

I think what's been created here is a drum corps mission statement for the post-Mayan Apocalypse era.

" The Post- Mayan Apocalypse. Music of the Mayans "

Has this theme been done yet by any DCI Corps, Michael ? My memory only goes back to Monday ( not to the time of Mayans. )

Edited by BRASSO

If they can't "sustain that level of health", they were not ready when they moved.

There is a difference between "can't" and "didn't". Often, that difference is the loss of key people involved in running the organization. As an example, Esperanza was a large organization with a WGI top class finalist winter guard and other programs in addition to the drum corps at the time when they were accepted into DCI world class. By 2007, all the key individuals involved in running that organization had left. The corps was fully sustainable when there were people there to run it. But any corps would fail if they have no administrative staff.

In your previous post, you said several corps needed to move back to open class from a financial and business standpoint. That does not appear to be a problem for the one corps you mention here. They have operated continuously for 50 years, and taken to the road for national competition in 45 of those years. They have had their ups and downs competitively and in recruiting, but they have been financially solvent and responsible the whole time, and may set the all time record for leadership longevity.

If you have specific concerns about the financial or business health of any world class corps, I would like to learn more. If your only issue is the number of members they field, then I will be relieved to know there is nothing else to worry about.

" The Post- Mayan Apocalypse. Music of the Mayans "

Has this theme been done yet by any DCI Corps, Michael ? My memory only goes back to Monday ( not to the time of Mayans. )

I think that one of the World Class corps is thinking of doing a Mayan show in 2013....oops! :tongue:

If they can't "sustain that level of heath", they were not ready when they moved.

That's fine, because I found your above statement fascinating as well.

sadly, most of the corps down there are in better financial shape than the big guns fighting at the top. score and size have little to do with WC.

you take those corps you so politely insult and move them to OC, and their income drops drastically. That's a god way to kill a corps.

sadly, most of the corps down there are in better financial shape than the big guns fighting at the top. score and size have little to do with WC.

you take those corps you so politely insult and move them to OC, and their income drops drastically. That's a god way to kill a corps.

jeff...it also just depends on how an individual corps measures success..You are right on all accounts BUT money also doesnt make one a WC corps either..sometimes one has to do what membership needs for thier personal success or cut the kids loose. It really just depends. theres 2 sides to that coin...I guess one has to do what they feel is best for themselves not what the general public thinks is best for them and then suffer the consequences or reap the benefits.

Edited by GUARDLING