Bluecoats 40th - top "moments"

As some of you likely know, The Bluecoats are celebrating their 40th Anniversary this year as well. So let me ask you, what are the most memorable show segments from Bluecoats history. Not a year. Not necessarily an entire tune. But a show segment that sticks out as memorable not just to you, but to the masses. It can be a single moment. It can be a mid-song segment. It can be a show segment. It can be a behavior. A visual moment. A musical moment. A hype moment.

Be sure to put year and describe the segments. Elaborate. Is there a special connection?

Let's hear it.

87...not just the fact they finally made finals, but the drum to drum stuff....an image used millions of times.

2000...the snake drill

2001...Red Cape Tango.

2002...the ballad

2008....the Boxer and the bass feature

2010...the whole show

2011...Creep

• Like 2

As some of you likely know, The Bluecoats are celebrating their 40th Anniversary this year as well. So let me ask you, what are the most memorable show segments from Bluecoats history. Not a year. Not necessarily an entire tune. But a show segment that sticks out as memorable not just to you, but to the masses. It can be a single moment. It can be a mid-song segment. It can be a show segment. It can be a behavior. A visual moment. A musical moment. A hype moment.

Be sure to put year and describe the segments. Elaborate. Is there a special connection?

Let's hear it.

The DCI 'vignette' in the 80's where they talked to the manager who was bemoaning the fact that it was their best year, but the last 5 members who had stuck with the corps when they were down to 15 or so members and started to rebuild were aging out.

I wonder if a corps today could still pull that off? Happily, a few seem to be trying.

Also - as I 'm a fan of the faster-higher-louder school of GE - "Autumn Leaves" from that same era

2008 Brass Feature. All day, Errday.

The 2004 Hazo opener gets a solid honorable mention, as does Creep and the 2010 Tuba Soli.

Edited by Vanguard07
  • Like 4

1995 - Presenting the folded flag to the widow in the middle of the show. It didn't seem cheesy back then. Maybe it's because I wasn't as jaded 17 years ago.

2002 - Pedal to the Metal, with that wailin' sop soloist.

2005 - The tabla drumming and "Hajj"/"Incantation" finale.

2008 - The terrifically creative percussion feature with the overlaid boxing instructions.

2008 - The Boxer. Blow my eardrums out, please. (I believe this is what Vanguard07 was referring to)

2011 - Creep. Worked far better than I expected.

1988: The huge line of snares in "Autumn Leaves."

1989: Jay Dawson's arrangement of "My Funny Valentine." My mom heard me playing a recording of this and said that was an incredible arrangement that was everything drum corps could be.

1994: The toe-tapping fun of "C Jam Blues."

1995: The entire production of "Homefront: 1945" was magical. Loved the look of the army hats to help sell the mood of time and place.

2007: Seeing them take 3rd in Kalamazoo, under Blue Devils and Cavaliers and telling a friend that I would have given them the show. Then, two days later, they beat both those corps. Later, wondering what the heck happened when they came in 7th in Pasadena. (It's important to remember they were only 0.80 out of 4th place.)

2008: That magnificent brass feature in "The Boxer."

2009: The marriage proposal at the end of the show at World Championship Finals.

2010: The electronically-altered baritone solo in "Asphalt Cocktail" and the joy I felt for them to finally break into the top three and get a medal.

2011: "Creep."

I'm sure if I went back into my notes, I could come up with something for many more years, but these are the ones that pop into my head.

Edited by Michael Boo

2007- The whole "freeze, drop your weapons, silence" section

2008- The Boxer

2011- Creep