Bluecoats 40th - top "moments"

Seeing the corps at the Serenade In Brass standstill show at the Forum Bldg in Harrisburg, PA for a number of years. Also seeing an online pic of the Forum somewhere and doing a double take.... the Bluecoats semi was parked in front when the pic was taken. :tongue:

Personally hearing some guy name Hershman was going to be with them. Just made all the DCA vs DCI comments all the funnier..... (cue in Loony Tones character singing "I know something you don't know.....")

89, 90 = Jay Dawson. 91 = Larry Kerchner.

actually Jay Dawson wrote our 1985 arrangment of Lover Man/Walk Between the Raindrops. and he also made mid-season changes to Take 5 in 1988.

• Like 1

actually Jay Dawson wrote our 1985 arrangment of Lover Man/Walk Between the Raindrops. and he also made mid-season changes to Take 5 in 1988.

Thanks Phil.

Edited by mingusmonk

1995: Perfect musical choices for the Homefront theme. Loved the pose of the "V-J Day Kiss" photo.

2001: Latin Sketches. No one has listed this one yet, so I had to chime in. "Red Cape Tango" was beautifully staged; can still hear those final haunting backfield notes.

2010: Metropolis. Relentless intensity throughout! Loved the belly flop at the end of the flash mob.

2011: Brave New World. "Creep" has been called "pure sonic bliss." I agree.

As some of you likely know, The Bluecoats are celebrating their 40th Anniversary this year as well. So let me ask you, what are the most memorable show segments from Bluecoats history. Not a year. Not necessarily an entire tune. But a show segment that sticks out as memorable not just to you, but to the masses. It can be a single moment. It can be a mid-song segment. It can be a show segment. It can be a behavior. A visual moment. A musical moment. A hype moment.

Be sure to put year and describe the segments. Elaborate. Is there a special connection?

Let's hear it.

First time I saw the Bluecoats at a drum corps show was in 1987....good year and real good show.

Other great shows,

1991 (love this approach...really wish they would have stuck with this style of music)

1994 C-Jam Blues...nuff said..

2002 Ballad....great

2007 Pretty neat...

2008 This is a great great exciting show. Not just the brass and drum features.

2010 Cool to seem them crank it up and achieve a high placement

2011 Creep is neat...(Should have beaten SCV in 2011 btw)

2012 Would love "greatest hits thing"...but I doubt that will happen.

• Like 1

The 89 soprano feature add-on for Sing Sing Sing. You know the elbow on the shoulder thing.

"Ride" and "Autumn Leaves" are 2 of my favorite individual songs by Bluecoats. My favorite entire show by them is probably a weird choice, considering the judges didn't like it very well, but I thought musically the 1999 Chick Corea show was their best ever. I have listened to that show on cd more than any other Bluecoats show. Other shows that really stand out were Criminal and Metropolis.

Personally hearing some guy name Hershman was going to be with them. Just made all the DCA vs DCI comments all the funnier..... (cue in Loony Tones character singing "I know something you don't know.....")

Hey 'coats folks from that particular era... guess who I talked too this past weekend at a standstill. Finally got to thank him for being part of the reason why I came back to corps after my first year. LOL, I was supposed to be ASKED if I was coming back. Instead LH and two board members (who gave me rides for a while) said "Yeah, he's coming back" and shoved me out the door before I could even draw breath. :blink: