Is it safe to say tat 1971 was their best year ever?

I saw them at a show in Lockport, NY (we did an exhibition). I remember Crusaders, Hawthorne and YR being there but does anyone else remember who else was there.

Is it safe to say tat 1971 was their best year ever?

I saw them at a show in Lockport, NY (we did an exhibition). I remember Crusaders, Hawthorne and YR being there but does anyone else remember who else was there.

Arguably '71 was their best year, with all the Jarheads,Billy McGrath in the drumline. However 1969 was their first year of Requiem for an Era, and I remember the first time I saw that show, my jaw dropped. It was one of those seminal moments for me in drum corps. Marched with Roch at the Nationals in Atlanta and went on AFTER them. The crowd didn't sitdown from applauding them until we were in our concert. We should have stayed on the buses.

I still like their '63 show.

I only have the albums...err now cds to go off of...71 may have been more talented, but 69, being the original was THE show

For me, '69, '70 and '71 are a toss-up for their best season.

At Hamden in June of 1969, we stood on the starting line and watched as they performed their 'Requiem' for the first time in a contest. The crowd went beserk. I thought, "How in the world do we follow that?" Same in Atlanta at the Nationals. In '70 the outcome of the DCA finals were in doubt right up to retreat, and they were one of the corps who could have won. I personally think they were better in '70 than in '69. The 1971 season is a bit of a blur, but I do remember they easily won their third straight AL Nationals in Houston and placed high at DCA.

For me, '69, '70 and '71 are a toss-up for their best season.

At Hamden in June of 1969, we stood on the starting line and watched as they performed their 'Requiem' for the first time in a contest. The crowd went beserk. I thought, "How in the world do we follow that?" Same in Atlanta at the Nationals. In '70 the outcome of the DCA finals were in doubt right up to retreat, and they were one of the corps who could have won. I personally think they were better in '70 than in '69. The 1971 season is a bit of a blur, but I do remember they easily won their third straight AL Nationals in Houston and placed high at DCA.

69 was the best show of the 3 years. it was awsome. as for their best corps i would have to say 70 was their best year. they won more shows and almost took DCA. 71 they were in bad shape untill the beginning of august. they had a strong finish. but they struggled.

I saw "Yankee Rebels" at "The Dream" Roosevelt Stadium Jersey City, N.J. in 1969. The whole place went BOZO. The applause and cheering was beyond anything I had ever seen. BUT, I wondered: This is up NORTH. (and as we know who wins the war. AND with all those Confederate Flags going down at the end.) How was this going to go over in the SOUTH. Specialty " ATLANTA, GA ". Well my friends. It got the SAME reaction. The Crowd just went NUTS. Everyone there was Up & Cheering.

(I was in the U S Navy at the time. Stationed in Pensacola,FL. I took 4 day's "Leave" to go to "The Dream". But, just drove up to Atlanta for "A.L. Nationals" Finals. So I only got to see them twice that year.)

Edited by 2B or not 2B

Arguably '71 was their best year, with all the Jarheads,Billy McGrath in the drumline. However 1969 was their first year of Requiem for an Era, and I remember the first time I saw that show, my jaw dropped. It was one of those seminal moments for me in drum corps. Marched with Roch at the Nationals in Atlanta and went on AFTER them. The crowd didn't sitdown from applauding them until we were in our concert. We should have stayed on the buses.

I still like their '63 show.

Gotta agree with Eddie on YR's 63 show ... pure GE throughout ... how unique was "The Stripper" back then? ... solid in all sections ... then came a lull from 64-68 ... the 69 show was IMO their finest hour ... but then, it was a solid year for many Sr's ...

:-)

I saw "Yankee Rebels" at "The Dream" Roosevelt Stadium Jersey City, N.J. in 1969. The whole place went BOZO. The applause and cheering was beyond anything I had ever seen. BUT, I wondered: This is up NORTH. (and as we know who wins the war. AND with all those Confederate Flags going down at the end.) How was this going to go over in the SOUTH. Specialty " ATLANTA, GA ". Well my friends. It got the SAME reaction. The Crowd just went NUTS. Everyone there was Up & Cheering.

(I was in the U S Navy at the time. Stationed in Pensacola,FL. I took 4 day's "Leave" to go to "The Dream". But, just drove up to Atlanta for "A.L. Nationals" Finals. So I only got to see them twice that year.)

if i remember for the show in atlanta the confederate flags were crossed over the union flag. the confederate rifle was standing and the union soldier went down on his knee. i was on the ready line watching and goose bumps went down my spine. just amazing.

i was on the ready line watching and goose bumps went down my spine. just amazing.

Bet you had goose bumps today just getting the mail with that nice cool breeze. :tongue:

Ya know, I remember a lot from the marching days, but I can't recall watching any corps as we lined up on the starting line. I know in 68 we had that strange formation, but 67 was company front as usual. Maybe it was that Wail Juice Uncle Nick forced on us. :huh:

Edited by gsksun4