Bet you had goose bumps today just getting the mail with that nice cool breeze. :tongue:

Ya know, I remember a lot from the marching days, but I can't recall watching any corps as we lined up on the starting line. I know in 68 we had that strange formation, but 67 was company front as usual. Maybe it was that Wail Juice Uncle Nick forced on us. :huh:

It occurred to me that a lot of younger/newer corps members may not be aware that it used to be standard practice to take the starting line while the corps ahead of you was competing. You marched into the stadium and onto the line to their music and cadence. That has all changed, of course. Primary reason I'm sure is the fact that corps now enter the field to form the opening set, but in the old days, it was strictly the starting line. You usually played yourself off after the finish, sometimes trooping the stands, depending on the contest.

Standing on that line could be either intimidating or a confidence booster, depending on how good (or bad!) a job the corps ahead of you was doing. You also got to see most of your competitors at least once during a season. Following the Yankee Rebels in Hamden in 1969 was one of those intimidating experiences!

It occurred to me that a lot of younger/newer corps members may not be aware that it used to be standard practice to take the starting line while the corps ahead of you was competing. You marched into the stadium and onto the line to their music and cadence. That has all changed, of course. Primary reason I'm sure is the fact that corps now enter the field to form the opening set, but in the old days, it was strictly the starting line. You usually played yourself off after the finish, sometimes trooping the stands, depending on the contest.

Standing on that line could be either intimidating or a confidence booster, depending on how good (or bad!) a job the corps ahead of you was doing. You also got to see most of your competitors at least once during a season. Following the Yankee Rebels in Hamden in 1969 was one of those intimidating experiences!

yeah john your right. i guess i was intimidated in atlanta watching that spectacle. it was a hard act to follow. i believe you followed us. not much to be intimidated about that night. we were spooked. lol

Bet you had goose bumps today just getting the mail with that nice cool breeze. :tongue:

Ya know, I remember a lot from the marching days, but I can't recall watching any corps as we lined up on the starting line. I know in 68 we had that strange formation, but 67 was company front as usual. Maybe it was that Wail Juice Uncle Nick forced on us. :huh:

devil.gif

Edited by TennTux

Gotta agree with Eddie on YR's 63 show ... pure GE throughout ... how unique was "The Stripper" back then? ... solid in all sections ... then came a lull from 64-68 ... the 69 show was IMO their finest hour ... but then, it was a solid year for many Sr's ...

:-)

"Their Finest Hour":

Sir Winston Churchill could not have said it better. 1969 was a VERY "Solid Year" for seniors.

It seemed like everyone got a piece of the "Action" right up to DCA Finals. Skyliners won Mission Drums and the Barnum, Rebels won at Reading, Reading won at Scranton, and the Hurricanes squeezed past the Rebels (By ONE TENTH!!!) at the Dream.

VERY solid year indeed....

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

That was also a good way to keep the show moving. Once a corps was done, judges sheets turned in (no tape recorders), the next corps could begin pretty quick. Nowadays it takes forever for corps to get started...have to wait till the corps ahead of you is off the field.