Defenders Alumni Corps (Massachusetts)

defenderlogo.pngDEFENDERS ALUMNI CORPS

* Next OPTIONAL Brass Rehearsal is WED 25 APR (7–9 PM) @ Abington Senior Center (MapQuest: 441 Summer St. - Abington MA 02351)

* Next Full Corps Rehearsal is SUN 06 MAY (Noon–4 PM) @ Abington Senior Center

• We have percussion instruments, bugles, and color guard equipment to lend.
  • Renew old friendships, talk about "back in the day..." Come check us out!

The Defenders Alumni Corps is an all-age drum corps with members ages 16-88. Although the name of the corps is the Defenders Alumni Corps, many of our members come from 40 different drum corps or bands.

Membership is open in all sections. We acknowledge that some potential members haven't played in years. Have no fear; you'll get your chops and hands back with a little rehearsal. (You'll be surprised how much you retained over the years.) You'll receive lots of patient assistance and enouragement from those around you. Not everyone will be able to learn everything right away, we just tell everyone to know what NOT to play when we perform. There will be plenty of rehearsal time and sectional work to get new recruits caught up and recent members more comfortable with what we know.

Rehearsals are conducted one Sunday a month, with 2 optional music rehearsals on two Wednesday nights a month. All are held at the Abington Senior Center. VISITORS ALWAYS WELCOMED.

We do understand that life and family "come first" and that members will have to miss rehearsals and performances from time to time. However, we ask that you make every effort to attend whenever you can.

There are NO DUES to participate. (No "initiation" of rookies, either!) For an annual $25 uniform fee, members are issued both summer & military uniforms. (Member must buy their own black dress trousers and black shoes.) Members are also expected to sell 15 tickets ($60 worth) for our annual "Helicopter Golf Ball Drop" for cash prizes at our annual golf tournament.

2012 Repetoire (so far...):

• "Momotombo" (1980's Defenders adaption of pop hit by Malo)
  • "MacArthur Park" (1970's Madison Scouts version)
  • "La Suerta de Los Tontos" (Stan Kenton, 1980's Blue Devils)
  • "Theme Without a Movie" (1980's Defenders)
  • "So Very Hard to Go/Firebird Suite" (1970's Anaheim Kingsmen)
  • "The Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor" (1970's Blue Devils)
    To see us in recent action, click on:

Edited by Navillus WP

We're always looking for people who want to be part of the fun.

Great bunch of people!

• Like 1

We're always looking for people who want to be part of the fun.

Great bunch of people!

Some VERY talented musicians!

Some VERY talented musicians!

We're looking for people from Connecticut.

We have have members from the other 5 New England states!

Just once a month makes the travel less of a hardship!

Come On Down,

Steve

• Like 1

Come to a rehearsal, be prepared to hear some good ol'time drum corps music.:thumbup:

Edited by Navillus WP

• 2 weeks later...

We picked up three additional members of the horn line at Sundays' rehearsal. (I think we've topped 70 brass players.)

Irrespective of your intentions to play or not, you'll meet some great folks and find out how much you have in common. Maybe someone can help with carpooling if you want to give it a whirl. Lots of patient people willing to help.

I travel down from Central Vermont to rehearsals, and could help anyone along the way (I-89, I-93) with a ride. I stop to carpool in Londonderry NH with someone who lives in Auburn, NH.

Warning: I listen to "ol' skool" drum corps CD's all the way down and back. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I am looking for someone from the Worcester area to carpool with. I know there were A LOT of corps in and around Worcester.

Come on down and have some fun!

• 1 month later...

I am looking for someone from the Worcester area to carpool with. I know there were A LOT of corps in and around Worcester.

Come on down and have some fun!

Next rehearsal is this Sunday, June 24th. We should be wrapping up our two new songs. Come on by for a listen!