Pioneer-How have they managed to survive

I remember back in the mid to late 90's(97 if I remember right) Pioneer made the jump from DII to DI(now world class). Along with Pioneer there were many other wonderful corps, like Les Etoiles, Nite Express, Tarheel Sun, Southwind, Academie Musicale, Americanos, East Coast Jazz, and Patriots, who all had large memberships, and great shows and staff, and all placed fairly well in competitions. Unfortunately all those other corps I just mentioned have disappeared over the years.

So what has made Pioneer successful over the last 17 years? They have never placed top 12, their highest placement was 16th in 2000. They are within a few hour drive of many successful finalist corps, including Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Blue Stars, and Colts. They are the longest corps to make the switch from DII to DI without ever making finals(Crown did it a couple of years before them, but made top 12 the first year they made the switch). It almost would seem the odds against Pioneer being successful, but yet they keep on performing every year.

I know some people have commented they should go back to Open Class, but they must be doing something right, as almost every corps that was in their general placement range in the 90s is gone now.

Any ideas what Pioneer has done to keep their corps alive, when so many others in their competition range weren't able to continue? I am guessing strong management would be a key, but do they have some large corporate sponsors? I notice there is hardly ever a line at their souvie booth, when all of your top 12 corps have long lines at alot of the shows. I know with the smaller corps the last few years, it probably means 1 or 2 less buses on the road which would save some on gas. But when they are always at the lower end of the World Class payscale, and their souvenir sales don't appear to be very good, it sometimes seem surprising that you don't hear the financial disasters that you hear about so many other corps.

Mandarins are another corps that kind of falls in the group like Pioneer. Another great corps, extremely successful in the DII/III days, never quite made top 12 in World Class, also in the state as 3 other amazing corps with BD, SCV and Pacific Crest.

Does anyone have any insight they could share as to how these 2 corps are successful(at least financially) even though they have never quite reached the status of top 12(or G8). Maybe something that could be shared so that other corps can also be successful?

I really think these corps bring so much to the activity. Between these 2 corps, in the last 20+ years, there has only been one show that I haven't liked by them(music and design flaws, not the performers). Heck, I remember one year when Mandarins only had about 20 horns in the mid 90s, and they played a Doc Severinson song, and it just amazed me how nice they sounded, even with such a small corps. It has been great to see them grow over the years.

I really hope these corps are able to continue with their success. I think these are the corps that have the hardest time. Competing with larger corps in the area, having to fight for souvie $$, and not getting the fans in early to see them in competition, and yet they keep going. To me, in a way, these almost seem like they are even more successful than the to 12, given the lack of fan support they receive.

I can't wait to Pioneer, and Mandarins, as well as everyone else on the field this summer. Hopefully some other corps in the lower divisions are able to learn something by looking at the success even some of the smaller corps have had.

• Like 3

Some corps tour according to their budget, and some seem try and budget according to how they want to tour...and fall short. Put the dollars you have on the table, and make instruction/tour/design etc fit your dollars. You may not make the top 12, but you will be on the road serving kids for years to come.

• Like 4

I've always liked Pioneer and I can definitely respect a corps that sticks to their values so unwaiveringly as they do, but I am curious to hear a bit more insight on this subject.

they spend within their means, even less than their means. We've all seen stories about Pioneer and those old busses, and I'm sure even with repairs it may be cheaper than leasing. They dont go out and order new guard uniforms at mid season every year. Sure, ok maybe the pay has chased off big name staff, but it's kept them alive.

There is more to success at the World Class level than placement, and if you really look, some of the best run corps financially are not the ones at the top of the competitive rankings.

This is part of the point I was trying to make. To me they are even more successful than a lot of corps at the top of the rankings. They manage to survive, even without the tons of fan support that some of your top 8 corps receive. So they are definitely doing something right. I think it has started with good management, and smart spending, as mentioned here. I really hope that some of the other lower placing corps that struggle can learn something from Pioneer.

• Like 3

This is part of the point I was trying to make. To me they are even more successful than a lot of corps at the top of the rankings. They manage to survive, even without the tons of fan support that some of your top 8 corps receive. So they are definitely doing something right. I think it has started with good management, and smart spending, as mentioned here. I really hope that some of the other lower placing corps that struggle can learn something from Pioneer.

And it's worth remembering that every year, the corps takes in anyone, even if have no experience playing an instrument or twirling, and gives them a World Class tour experience. Plus, they reach out to kids in other countries who want to get some experience with American drum corps and then take their experience back to their own country and hopefully help stimulate the country there. (A few years ago, they had members from South Korea and other countries and more recently, numerous kids from South Africa.)

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 6

blenski.jpg

"Any ideas what Pioneer has done to keep their corps alive, when so many others in their competition range weren't able to continue?"

The formula is very simple... applying it is where others fall short.

1. NEVER forgetting why the corps exists, and ensuring that all critical decision-making ultimately supports the fundamental reason for existence.

2. Being strong enough to handle the constant pressure and criticism from others to operate in ways that "they" think are best.

Thanks for reminding us of how great this corps is, as well as the people that sustain the corps' life. :cool:

KEEP GOING PIONEER!

• Like 5

Pioneer succeeds because they don't live outside their means. Pioneer, as of late, is more successful as an organization than some of the "big dogs," one of which relied on fan/alumni bail out money to cover debts accrued while chasing points on a meaningless piece of paper.

• Like 2