Move DCI to Santa Clara!

IMO the only good thing about Indy (besides the fact that I can drive there) is that it is centrally located for corps. The cost for the right coast corps to get to Cali every year would increase their overall budgets. And visa versa for the left coast corps if DCI was held in say, University of Maryland or New England every year.

Does this preclude the possibility of corps not entering California until the last two weeks of tour? I agree that it's important to give the eastern US their shows, since that's where the bulk of drum corps fans typically show up, but the 2007 model isn't that outrageous in terms of unfairly supporting the West Coast. (http://www.dci.org/n...f7-4b75bd8231f3)

No. It certainly doesn't and I think DCI Finals will head West again -- eventually. But I suspect it won't happen as frequently as some may hope. OTOH it seems DCI has made a commitment to at least take 2 of the TOC corps out west every season and that should ameliorate the frustration -- at least a little.

But I don't see them giving up on Indy any time soon. Despite all the issues and complaints, Indy seems to work pretty darn well for most fans and it certainly is working pretty well for the corps and DCI. There's a lot to be said for a centrally located, stable location for Finals (at one of the newest NFL venues to boot). I suspect the days of finals in a different city every year are gone.

In my experience Mid-Atlantic shows consistently sell-out. Pretty sure that the Va and NC, SC shows do as well. Not positive about the NE shows but I suspect they are packed full as well.

NoVa show didn't do so well last year or the year before. Perhaps it was the lineup last year?

IMO the only good thing about Indy (besides the fact that I can drive there) is that it is centrally located for corps. The cost for the right coast corps to get to Cali every year would increase their overall budgets. And visa versa for the left coast corps if DCI was held in say, University of Maryland or New England every year.

You mean like Ithica, NY (1), Philly, PA (2), Birmingham, AL (2), Montreal, Quebec (2), Miami, FL (1), Atlanta, GA (1), Orchard Park, NY (3), Foxborough, MA (2), Orlando, FL (4), and College Park, MD (1)...those 19 times (and I'm not counting twice in Birmingham)....just shy of HALF of the championships???

• Like 1

You mean like Ithica, NY (1), Philly, PA (2), Birmingham, AL (2), Montreal, Quebec (2), Miami, FL (1), Atlanta, GA (1), Orchard Park, NY (3), Foxborough, MA (2), Orlando, FL (4), and College Park, MD (1)...those 19 times (and I'm not counting twice in Birmingham)....just shy of HALF of the championships???

I was assuming the OP was talking about a 10 year contract with Santa Clara like the one in Indy right now. Plus, you need to compare gas prices between now and when all those shows took place. I am sure the gas expense today with 4 buses, two semi's and the souvie truck and the price of gas today FAR bypasses the expense back during those championships.

No. It certainly doesn't and I think DCI Finals will head West again -- eventually. But I suspect it won't happen as frequently as some may hope. OTOH it seems DCI has made a commitment to at least take 2 of the TOC corps out west every season and that should ameliorate the frustration -- at least a little.

But I don't see them giving up on Indy any time soon. Despite all the issues and complaints, Indy seems to work pretty darn well for most fans and it certainly is working pretty well for the corps and DCI. There's a lot to be said for a centrally located, stable location for Finals (at one of the newest NFL venues to boot). I suspect the days of finals in a different city every year are gone.

unless Indy attendance drops to close to 10k, I think DCi will try to stay there as long as possible

or perhaps because it is impossible to get from your job in DC that ends at 5 to Fauquier in time for a 7pm start.

08 show was well attended, I think. That was the only time I was there though. We broke the curse supposedly. I've heard Crossmen horror stories about that place. Haha

A five year rotating schedule with shows in the NE, SE, 2 in the MW and 1 in the W would give the activity true nationwide exposure. It would also spread the wealth and the pain more equally.

You and your logic.....