BEST OF THE 2012 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

I don't believe Flanagan has ever lost kids to WB. In 2003 they lost half of their 350 person band to Everglades H.S when the split happened, maybe that's what you're referring to?

hmmm maybe youre right..have to check with Flanagan staff..........maybe just the new school in town at the time caused the hub- bub

West Broward opened in 2008-2009. They mostly split from the aforementioned Everglades High School, which lost 1/2 to 2/3 of their band program (and color guard) to West Broward. West Broward also split from Cypress Bay High School (7th in SO this year. While Everglades faced somewhat of an identity crisis and un-supportive administration following the split, West Broward, Cypress Bay and Flanagan have had much more supportive administration and band booster programs. Just goes to show you that building a successful program means engaging your administration and band boosters. Congrats to all of these Broward County programs!

This is all pretty much true. The WB's first colorguard rehearsal consisted of 4 members in 2009. 3 from the Everglades guard and 1 from Cypress Bay, later on 1 more from each school joined the team. To my knowledge we have never had a member from Flanagan. The largest truth told here is how extremly supportive the WB administration is of the whole West Broward Performance Ensemble, band, guard and percussion. It is common that we will have administrators or our principal show up, on their own dime for out of town or out of state trips, and yes we realize how lucky we are.

• Like 1

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz........ :rolleyes:

• Like 2

amen on Adle overkill at the local and national level

• 2 weeks later...

The most memorable moment for me was in SO Prelims at the Nutter Center. Harlan HS, KY took the floor. Beautiful tarp, beautiful uniforms, great beginning...then the music skipped once, twice....then stopped.....those kids kept spinning like pros. When in fact, this was their first year not only in SO, but ever having a winter guard. The response from the audience was absolutely amazing and they were cheered on. Unfortunately, their second run did not begin well and had problems. Those kids got a great ovation and I only see them moving onto bigger and better things.

From what I was reading of guards being from the same city..Warren Central and Lawrence Central are both from Indianapolis :) (Technically) and within 15 minutes of each other. Plus going up to the north side of Indy is Carmel, the central part you have Center Grove on the West side Avon, and a tad further west Northview. Plus now that Lake Central should be promoted to Scholastic World, Indiana will have 7 World Class Guards. Another unit may be going world class in Indiana (not doing WGI though) but no official word on that yet.

I loved Carmels show because the entire thing was scripted on their tarp. How cool was that?

Warren Central - The Elephant in The Room - Their shows always make me think. We have elephants everywhere that need to be eliminated!..They must be addressed. The way those girls whirled those elephant whips around....the snapping sounds...just so enticing.

Lawrence Central - The Boxes....I saw this program a lot as well. LOVED IT. They have girls that can move and move darn well.

Northview - I just don't think this show ever got the credit it deserved. I don't think I'll ever listen to Opera the same way.

My two favorite shows of the weekend:

Lake Central - How this show didn't win SO is beyond me. Absolutely exquisite to watch those young ladies utilize their hair, movement, and equipment on a flawless scale of perfection. This was the first show that almost made me cry.

Fantasia - How I wish this show was cleaner. As Fantasia goes, this was an executed show of thought provoking moments and images that one can only imagine from the era in history. I felt their emotion where I was sitting, and had this show gone on another 10 seconds I would have been balling like a baby.

One a side note I have to say that the kids from Flannigan were awesome to talk to. They even let me take a picture with the trophy. This is an advantage of working at a hotel and staying where the kids are staying. Such great young people.

I can't wait for 2013!