BEST OF THE 2012 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Just a fun thread in which we can both recognize and share the moments from the 2012 World Championships that we will ALWAYS remember

Ten or 20 years from now, when someone mentions WGI 2012, you'll say, 'Oh, yeah - that was the year that ____________ happened...!!!'

Let's hear about all of your favorite shows, performers, moves, flags, costumes, fans - you name it....!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Well this didn't happen Saturday night but at semifinals for IW one of the Aimachi boys' batons hit the ceiling scoreboard and flew to the front of the floor.

Saturday evening during Aimachi's performance was the first time in a long while that I remember people jumping up out of their seats clapping DURING the show.

We can't forget the music mysteriously stopping during First Flight's performance. And the crowd cheering them on in support.

This was definitely was the year of the backbend catch.

The partner work in Onyx when the girl gets horizontally rolled/flipped in the air right at the beginning. WOW!!!

The moment when Tin Man hands over his heart at the end of Zydeco!

When asked "is the guard ready?" the girl from Carmel simply says "yes" into her microphone.

My favorite part was being in the Arena all 3 days and realizing that watching the videos on the Fan Network does not come anywhere near to doing justice to these shows. What I thought was going to be a fairly boring WGI - turned out to be an awesome one with some of the best performances I have seen in a while. And some of those shows (I'm talking to you Onyx, Pride, SCV, Blessed Sac and Aimachi) were pure genious!!!!

Also a huge shout out to some non finalists:

Black Gold - That show could have been so cheesy - but it was done so well and had such a great progression from bullying to acceptance. The final semi's run was awesome - I was sure that it would be in finals!!!! Cograts on doing a bullying show so tastefully!!!!

Diamante - what a creepy cool different show. Kept me totally mesmerized!!!!!!

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

BEST 'THE SHOW MUST GO ON' PERFORMANCE

The girl with the boot from Lincoln-Way North

During Scholastic A Finals, one of the talented members for the Lincoln-Way North color guard performed the entire program wearing a walking cast/brace below the knee.

And she turned-in a GREAT performance in Lincoln-Way North's show that earned a bronze medal.

What a dedicated performer...!!!

(EDITOR'S NOTE: I hope that someone from the WGI publications office already is planning a short story with a photo for the website and/or the next edition of 'FOCUS' magazine...!!!)

Mike -

Thank you so much for your kind words about Black Gold's performance this weekend! Although we would have loved to have performed a third time, the performer's had an incredible weekend filled with support from two amazing audiences! They had the privilege of having a private concert by Matt Alber, the vocalist in our show (truly a highlight of my career). In addition - they made incredible bonds with both Cypress Independent and Rhapsody Winterguards.

We did our best to tell an important story, with the dignity and respect it deserves. I will make sure and share kind words with the cast and staff of BG! They will be thrilled to know you enjoyed their show!

Mikel Burress

Director, Black Gold Winterguard

My favorite part was being in the Arena all 3 days and realizing that watching the videos on the Fan Network does not come anywhere near to doing justice to these shows. What I thought was going to be a fairly boring WGI - turned out to be an awesome one with some of the best performances I have seen in a while. And some of those shows (I'm talking to you Onyx, Pride, SCV, Blessed Sac and Aimachi) were pure genious!!!!

Also a huge shout out to some non finalists:

Black Gold - That show could have been so cheesy - but it was done so well and had such a great progression from bullying to acceptance. The final semi's run was awesome - I was sure that it would be in finals!!!! Cograts on doing a bullying show so tastefully!!!!

Diamante - what a creepy cool different show. Kept me totally mesmerized!!!!!!

Later,

Mike

-Cheering for the non-baton moments in Aimachi. Those performers manuipulating rifle, saber and flag were perhaps the best trained people in WGI this year. Just a shame a lot of their moments got hidden by a baton trick (and no I am not anti-baton, but pro amazing perfomers who needed a little more love). Who saw that amazing ripple double turn around on gun--this fan!

-Lawrence Central's box dominos

-SCV's story teller getting a little choked up in finals

-Logan's amazing performer who SOLD the toppling props at the end of finals

-Pride got the award for "most memorable phrase stuck in your head all weekend"--"REPENT OF YOUR WICKED WAYS"

-Seeing Fantasia and First Flight right next to each other in finals, was kind of like seeing a movie with a whole complete story, albeit backwards

-Imbue's neck roll, hold it there moment in their feature

-Alta Marea: just so fun!

-Cicero-North Syracuse: simply designed, elegant and fierce all rolled into one

-Apopka: such a WONDERFULLY performed and energetic show!!

-Somerville: nothing can explain the love for this team except AMAZING! Oh yeah, and, GET IT HAIR!

• Like 1

Seeing First Flight and Fantasia next to eachother in Finals performances.

Cypress Independent's amazing soundtrack. I love the big music 'reveal' after the flag feature!

Seconding Aimachi's weapon line. The double turn ripple under what looked like a 5 was crazy.

Somerville's beautiful and inspiring finals performance will be my best memory. My kids compete against them at home in NJ and they have been turning out great performances all year.

Glad to see them get what they deserved!

• Like 2

-Cicero-North Syracuse: simply designed, elegant and fierce all rolled into one

Thank you!!!

Larry Schmidt

Director, CNS

I didn't get to see everything as I was busy with duts for an independent open finalist :winky:

but....

SA: I thought the entire class was entertaining and great top to bottom. My fave moment was the diva from Somerville just nodding her head "yes" and smiling at the end of their run. She knew it was a fantastic run.

IO: *Double Peace Signs* (inside joke)

SO: I want CT Johnson's uniforms....at least the "tattooed" bits. I still say there had to be velcro on Upland HS's backs for some of those lift back to back tricks. Cypress Bay's unforms reminded me of the 1988 film "Heathers"...in a great way.

SW: Thank you Trumbull for a great nod to WGI's past :happy:

IW: Aimachi = Breathtaking. Zydeco live WAS much better than any video and I loved loved loved the show (Congrats Byron!). Braddock's 30 minute rifle toss feature was HOT.