Drum Corps "Why didn'ts...."

I don't know if the Garfield marchers are trying to make you guys simply feel better about finishing behind Garfield or not in 1984, but that '84 Cadets show performance was selected by fans nationwide as one of the top 5 favorite shows ever in a DCI national poll. '84 Garfield's Finals performance was magnificent, and its on fan network. The Visual and Guard alone was spectacular, and the closing drill sequence ( and its execution ) is one for the ages. The '84 Cadets were deserving champions with the vast numbers in attendance that night in Atlanta. Nothing against coming in 2nd however as BD was a deserving runners up in both the Prelims and in the Finals to the Garfield Cadets that year, imo. '84 Garfield was one of those rare shows that was considered the best with both the fans in the Prelims and Finals AND with both the separate judging panels at Prelims and Finals..... as well as with fans nationwide that saw it live on TV and later with those who viewed it on tape.

Never once did he say that Garfield didn't deserve their well-earned gold medal, he just said that even the GC membership didn't think they were going to win that night, it's not like they won in a landslide, afterall.

Never once did he say that Garfield didn't deserve their well-earned gold medal,

And I never commented in my reply above to him that he said this either.I gave my suggestions of what might have prompted their response to him.

Have you ever had a competitor from another Corps try and console your disappointment in placement by stating that they thought you were just as good as they were in performance that nite, or even perhaps a bit better ? Look, NO performer in a Corps can tell you how their Corps did in performance that nite. Thats because they can only speak to their OWN individual performance, or their sections performance. If you marched, you KNOW this. You can't adequately comment on how another section in your corps performed that nite, as you neither heard it, not witnessed it. That because you were totally focused on your own individual performance and your sections performance in unison that nite. Lots of times, I felt my performance was good ( or awful ) but found out afterwards that other sections had a great ( or off ) nite. So if a Garfield marcher or two told a naturally disappointed BD marcher "you guys should have won " it was probably more as a gesture of goodwill and good form, good sportsmanship on display rather than a reflection of the Corps overall performance levels that evening. Additionally, since that evening in '84, BD went on just before Garfield, Garfield marchers themselves were next up and did not see or hear BD's performance from any vantage point that would allow them to adequately evaluate the Finals Performance of BD that nite, nor be in a position to adequately compare it with their own performance levels that nite. Just sayin'.

Edited by BRASSO

I use to think cavaliers beat us (bluecoats) in 2010 because they got cleaner so at first I wasn't too blown away by it since they did beat us in San Antonio. But after watching the DVD of both shows I noticed a lot more dirt in cavaliers show than in bluecoats and I knew all the mistakes that happened in our show too! I don't understand how the lack of definition in the cavaliers sound that season beat our consistency in sound to point out one. That's just one instance where I couldn't believe the judges put them in front. Definitely agreed with BD winning because that was clean.

• Like 3

I use to think cavaliers beat us (bluecoats) in 2010 because they got cleaner so at first I wasn't too blown away by it since they did beat us in San Antonio. But after watching the DVD of both shows I noticed a lot more dirt in cavaliers show than in bluecoats and I knew all the mistakes that happened in our show too! I don't understand how the lack of definition in the cavaliers sound that season beat our consistency in sound to point out one. That's just one instance where I couldn't believe the judges put them in front. Definitely agreed with BD winning because that was clean.

If it makes you feel any better, I thought you were visually cleaner and better sounding than the Cavies that night. Unfortunately for you, I'm not a DCI judge. tongue.gif

I feel this comment is totally incorrect. BD could barely do their show in 2005. It was their worst show of the decade.

I thought the show design was bad. I liked what they played. And I really enjoyed the sound of that horn line. And as much as people make fun of the show... it still got decent fan reaction.

• Like 1

I feel this comment is totally incorrect. BD could barely do their show in 2005. It was their worst show of the decade.

um...not familiar with the storyline or humor are you?

:tongue:

• Like 1