The Loudest Hornline of 2011?

Multiple answers are allowed :)  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which hornlines do you think were the loudest in 2011? (multiple answers allowed)

THE 1980 Spirit of Atlanta!!!! Oh, Sorry, Different thread...

Crown Rattled the back of my teeth.

Crown was certainly the loudest I've ever heard them at the opeing BoRhap hit. It was turn-your-brains-to-jelly loud.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I was up top on the 50 and from where I was at, Crown sounded mf whereas BD, Phantom, Bloo, OC, BK, and even Bones sounded monstrous. Hell, even PC and Academy got up there too at some points! If I can feel the sound on my face, it's mother fletching loud! Sorry, but I think your decibel meters are broken fellas.

• Like 4

You bring a db meter to shows?

Fred O.

Don't you? ;-)

Edited by CrownBariDad
  • Like 1

I watched the Blu Rays this year on my new 7.1 speaker system with everybody on the same volume (which was almost the max).

The groups that sounded so loud that I wanted to max out the stereo (which I subsequently did) were Spirit, Madison, Crown, Regiment, and Cadets.

For anyone who has access to a loud home theater set-up and Blu Rays, I highly recommend doing this. The audio mixing was superb and even at max volume there was NO distortion.

• Like 2

SCV was by far the softest corps, almost 15db less than the next softest corps.

Dissonant shows have a tendency to do that.

• Like 1

Below, the first number is from Atlanta, the 2nd number is the Indy Prelim measurement (loudest value).

We'll try again next year. I promise I'll upgrade my meter so I won't have to switch ranges, so I won't miss anything.

Oregon Crusaders: N/A 104

Blue Devils B: N/A 107

Pioneer: 106 101

Jersey Surf: 112 112

Teal Sound: 109 105

Mandarins: 109 104

Cascades: 110 106

Crossmen: 112 107 (Prelims: Warmup facing backfield 92 dB)

Pacific Crest: 108 104

Colts: 111 110

The Academy: 110 105

Glassmen: 113 111

Troopers: 110 107

Blue Knights: 108 102

Blue Stars: 108 105

Spirit of Atlanta: 113 108

Santa Clara Vanguard: 111 106

Boston Crusaders: 107 104

Madison Scouts: 119 115

Bluecoats: 111 107

Phantom Regiment: 114 111

Carolina Crown: 120+ 115

The Cavaliers: 113 113

The Cadets: 110 104

Blue Devils: 109 110

Oh, that settles it once and for all. Pioneer is the loudest hornline in DCI.

(Either that, or peak decibel meter readings say nothing about hornline volume.)

• Like 1

Oh, that settles it once and for all. Pioneer is the loudest hornline in DCI.

(Either that, or peak decibel meter readings say nothing about hornline volume.)

Did you even read the numbers? lol

My db meter at the 50 yardline of two of the shows, about halfway up, was a tie between Cavs and PR.

SCV was by far the softest corps, almost 15db less than the next softest corps. SCV was softer than Pio and Seattle, which was shocking to me.

Madison and Cadets were also below the middle of the pack. Probably because of staging and the fact that they play with such forced sounds.

It's my civic duty to remind everyone that volume measured by devices (ie, Physics) is totally different than what humans perceive as loud (Physiology).

Yeah, jet engines are physically loud, but who'd want to listen to them? I feel that way about some hornlines, especially in the G Bugle days.

• Like 4