Who Was THE BEST All-Girl Corps EVER?

87 members have voted

1. 1. What All-Girl Corps Would You Say Was the Best AG Corps EVER?

• Ventures
    • St. Ignatius Girls
    • Audobon Bon Bons
    • St. John's Girls
    • Mello Dears
    • CapitolAires
    • Fire-ettes
    • Bandettes
    • Les Chatelaines
    • ND-ettes
    • Joanettes
    • Nee Hi's
    • Jeanettes
    • Royaleer Mounties
    • Arabella
    • Norwood Debs

Andy.

My information came from someone involved with DCA for a long time. I may have gotten the wrong information, but my contact has steered me right in the past. So do you. I appeciate the input.

Kevin

Schaffer Ladies!

Mac, they were history by the time you stopped wearing diapers.

They were a SENIOR ladies' parade corps from the Cpl. Henry W. Schaefer VFW post in Milwaukee. With ugly green archaic uniforms and organ-grinder-monkey hats.

A carload of their 3rd-generation members were Kenosha Kingsmen groupies.

Who were the best all girl corps? I simply don’t know.

Last year, I found a copy of a letter that I sent to DCW magazine in 1977 promising I’d send articles and never did. I remember seeing a lot of all girl corps from Quebec at our finals late 1960’s, of those that traveled. Brantford had an annual all girl drum corps contest in the 1970’s. I started saving URLs of all girl corps 2 years ago but lost them when my computer had to be replaced last summer. I found this on the net today. DCP allows this now. There’s not a lot documented about all girl drum corps … yet …

AAG competed in 1975, 1 year of 10 as a drum corps. We compiled audio, photos and some video footage for our reunions in 2006 and 2011. There’s an 8 minute documentary made by the National Film Board from one of 4 tours in 1974. 1st tour Spokane Washington May 15-20 1974, 2nd tour Munich Germany July 4-8 1974, 3rd tour local area July 11-20 1974 and 4th tour to watch DCI finals with stops along the way July 23-August 28, 1974. Here’re 2 scans from the 8 minute documentary. I enjoyed working as an instructor for Ventures in 1975 and AAG 1976-1979. The girls were punctual, attentive, hard workers and took challenges with a smile (btw there was a no fraternizing rule or else you got kicked out of the corps)

74-aag1.png

74-aag3.png

Ventures did well competing against the big boys as well for many years. It being a different time too, the brass lines became/were more musical and in tune. When they had a small amount of percussionists they decided not to march the drum line and I thought that made their sound even better. Although, I think, also, that they were at the end by that time.

While I am familiar with many of the names of corps in that list, I remember an association (on-field and off) with only three, one not listed; CapitalAires, St. John's, and Belles of St. Mary (Rhinelander). I've previously attested to the hospitality of the Belles, but for this poll I selected the ladies of Madison. :satisfied:

Before 1972 I had competed against Mello Dears and Alpine Girls. In 1972 I saw The CapitolAires and I was in love! I saw St. John's Girls too but the girls from Madison always seem to be worth watching. Maybe it was the uniforms or the pretty girls...I don't know, but I liked them alot! I think they spanked us in 1975 when we were in Illinois on July 4th weekend.

• Like 1

so,.............has there ever been an all girl senior corps?

See my post above, about Milwaukee's Schaefer Ladies.

Also google "Hormel Girls show troupe" for info on the 60-member group that toured in the post-WWII years promoting Spam.

And check out the bio of Donna Mae Smith, inducted into the Buglers HOF.