Who Was THE BEST All-Girl Corps EVER?

87 members have voted

1. 1. What All-Girl Corps Would You Say Was the Best AG Corps EVER?

• Ventures
    • St. Ignatius Girls
    • Audobon Bon Bons
    • St. John's Girls
    • Mello Dears
    • CapitolAires
    • Fire-ettes
    • Bandettes
    • Les Chatelaines
    • ND-ettes
    • Joanettes
    • Nee Hi's
    • Jeanettes
    • Royaleer Mounties
    • Arabella
    • Norwood Debs

Mac, they were history by the time you stopped wearing diapers.

They were a SENIOR ladies' parade corps from the Cpl. Henry W. Schaefer VFW post in Milwaukee. With ugly green archaic uniforms and organ-grinder-monkey hats.

A carload of their 3rd-generation members were Kenosha Kingsmen groupies.

Gee, thought they were connected with Schaefers Beer....

Which supposedly could turn your face green and feel like the organ grinders monkey was in your stomach clawing your guts out....

J/K Never had the stuff before it was bought out but remember the huge ###ed brewery outside of Allentown....

• Like 1

NOBODY voted for the Mello-Dears?

(I voted for Bon-Bon's, BTW.... ):lookaround:

• 1 month later...

Gee, thought they were connected with Schaefers Beer....

Which supposedly could turn your face green and feel like the organ grinders monkey was in your stomach clawing your guts out....

J/K Never had the stuff before it was bought out but remember the huge ###ed brewery outside of Allentown....

HA!

so,.............has there ever been an all girl senior corps?

The most successful one ever was the Hormel Girls from Minnesota back in the 1940s. They beat quite a few of the big boys at nationals, and even had their own national radio and television shows through

the early 1950s.

Edited by Northern Thunder

I chose Ventures- Winning a DCI Class A title against some very good co-ed competition speaks volumes and was a remarkable achievement. Especially when you add in the disadvantage of not having the Instrumental Music Programs to get them started when they competed versus their American counterparts.

There are a lot of us who go back quite a way. We've all seen some very good all girls corps. In the Boston area I would rate the Norwood Debonaires as the best, based on competitive success, and longevity. Arbella was also excellent, but was short-lived.

The best Canadian girls corps that I saw was St Johns of Branford Ont, by a wide margin. Ventures were also excellent, as were Les Chatelaines. I also enjoyed Les Jouvencilles Drum and Glockenspiel corps. They were unique. I never got to see the Alberta Girls, but they have a very good rep.

However, the best of the best, bar none, and it's not even close, were the Bon Bon Girls of Audubon New Jersey. In 1957 they were absolutely jobbed by the powers-that-be in the American Legion at the Nationals in Atlantic City. The good-old-boys just WOULDN'T let a bunch of girls win their National Championship. This is no knock on the Holy Name Cadets, who got the trophy. They were great. IMO, and that of nearly everyone I talked to, we thought Bon Bons should have won.

BITD it was the ambition of every girl's corps to beat Audubon. They asked for no favors, expected none, and quite often were able to beat the very best corps in the country.

Edited by reallyoldfrt

Saw that the Belle's of St. Mary's were added - glad to see. When a few of their members came to march Wausau Story in 78, I had the pleasure of marching next to a great girl who was not only cute, but was one hell of a snare drummer! But Capitolaires get my vote - if nothing else, they were the best AG uniforms ever!!

Edited by ajedrummer