Nothing Changes in Drum Corps....

Maybe, but the Holy Family Defenders have returned with a very good Alumni Corps.... worthy.gif

(Oh, and I placed in the end of the pack a LOT while marching in the Lynn Continentals)

The placement of Holy Family quickly caught my eye! When this show went on I was 4 years old it took ten more years for me to join up with Rockland. I'm not familiar with the show they did or the size of the corps. Today though the Baritone line is 20 + Bari's and Euphoniums :) Contras I think are 9! Mid range is about 12 + and Sopranos 20 - 25 + The Brass line is HUGE. Something that I am very proud of 60 + horns. It's really cool to be in the middle of a wall of sound!

But... I agree, someone does have to come in at the end of the pack.

• Like 1

Yep... everyone who saw them that day thought they were a shoo-in for 40th. :tongue:

40 Royaleers - NJ ------------ ----- 69.850

41 Sacred Heart Crusaders - NJ ---- 69.450

42 Fitchburg Kingsmen - MA -------- 69.400

43 Polish Falcon Cadets - NJ ------ 69.100

Amazing how three groups from NJ can travel to a National competition and score close enough to each other that it must have felt like a local circuit show ... LOL ...

The same thing happened with the WI corps:

26 Spectacle City Mariners - WI --- 76.650

28 St. Mathias Cadets - WI -------- 75.100

29 Seattle Shamrocks - WA -------- 74.450

30 Queensmen - WI ------------ ----- 73.600

:-)

Would you pay TWO bucks for a rather major show?

1969_vfw_nationals_ticket.jpg

Speaking of 1969 VFW's ... Jim Stanko just sent this to me:

Not sure if I'm violating a Youtube rule ... moderators please take it down if I am ...

If not ... ENJOY!!!!

:-)

was it a different stadium in57? kennedy stadium which the barnum festival has been there many many years seats 12000.....both sides I believe

I have to think that the article which Andy referred to contained a typographical error. Before the current stadium was opened in Bridgeport (1965, I believe), the Barnum was held at Hedges Stadium in Bridgeport, which was also the site of the the 1964 World Open. I was there for the '64 senior WO, and I seriously doubt it could hold 24,000 people, but 2,400 seems more likely.

In '65 the World Open moved to the new, larger JFK stadium with a juniors-only championship, as did the Barnum Festival, presumably. I know every Barnum I competed in starting in '66 through '73 was in the newer stadium. The 1966 and '67 DCA Championships were also held there. It has undergone a terrific renovation in recent years, but it only has a 12,000 seat capacity.

I have to think that the article which Andy referred to contained a typographical error. Before the current stadium was opened in Bridgeport (1965, I believe), the Barnum was held at Hedges Stadium in Bridgeport, which was also the site of the the 1964 World Open. I was there for the '64 senior WO, and I seriously doubt it could hold 24,000 people, but 2,400 seems more likely.

In '65 the World Open moved to the new, larger JFK stadium with a juniors-only championship, as did the Barnum Festival, presumably. I know every Barnum I competed in starting in '66 through '73 was in the newer stadium. The 1966 and '67 DCA Championships were also held there. It has undergone a terrific renovation in recent years, but it only has a 12,000 seat capacity.

You may be right, John. These early drum corps magazines are fraught with errors, mispellings, typos, wrong dates, etc. I've seen up to four different scores in different articles for a particular corps at a given contest. That having been said, however, I went back to the article to check and "that's what the man said" - 24,000.

The only other place it would have been held at in 57 was Longbrook Park in Stratford, CT ... it was not uncommon in the 50's and 60's for people to just surround the field and sit on blankets and such ... but, 24,000 is a stretch - for any field in the Bpt area ... the 12,000 John mentioned at Kennedy stadium was both sides (packed) ... I well remember the Barnum's at Hedges Stadium ... always a great local crowd ... seats VERY close to the sidelines ... 64 World Open was the pinnacle show there ... and probably the last ... except for the Bpt PAL rehearsaing there ... :-)

Andy "Bpt born and raised" Lisko

64 World Open was the pinnacle show there ... and probably the last ... except for the Bpt PAL rehearsaing there ...

I remember that day. Hot as hell with something like 42 corps filling the area. Think we were the first corps to break 80 on that leader board. I got so excited, but what the heck did I know at that age. The afternoon set in and it was all down hill from there.

Anyone recall how many seats at Roosevelt Stadium?

Excluding rest rooms of course.

Kennedy always seemed larger than 12000, I guess because it was always packed.

Just wiki'd it and found that it was planned originally for 35,000 seats plus an additional 15,000 on the field for different events, such as boxing. According to the sidebar, the capacity was 24,000. Additionally, there is a photo of Sky passing in review at retreat at the '72 Dream included in the article. Thank you for that, whoever posted it.

I seem to remember the announced audience for the '63 Dream as being around 33,000, so I figure it was a full house that year, whether 24K or 33K. Having been there, I can attest that it was packed! You just don't see numbers like that for ANY major shows today.

Ray

• Like 1