Nothing Changes in Drum Corps....

Just wiki'd it and found that it was planned originally for 35,000 seats plus an additional 15,000 on the field for different events, such as boxing. According to the sidebar, the capacity was 24,000. Additionally, there is a photo of Sky passing in review at retreat at the '72 Dream included in the article. Thank you for that, whoever posted it.

I seem to remember the announced audience for the '63 Dream as being around 33,000, so I figure it was a full house that year, whether 24K or 33K. Having been there, I can attest that it was packed! You just don't see numbers like that for ANY major shows today.

Ray

Well Ray and All.

I can tell you this. There I was standing on the ready line, Then the "Starting line."

The Third Base Line, Was "Concert Side Line", it was Full. Top to Bottom (From Home to the Out Field (where the "Starting Line" was). Then Going from Home Plate down the First Bace Line, was Full past the Infield into the Out field. There were a lot of people in the Concrete Bleacher Area after that. (The Third Base Line being the "Finish Line".)

Yes, Standing on that starting line, LOOKING straight into ALL those faces. ( Knowing how Knowledgeable these FANS were. Was a bit intimidating. Almost forgot about the "Judges"). So in Drum Corps News at one Dream they said "29,000". I guess some where between "24,000 and 35,000" was always a safe guess THEN!

Edited by 2B or not 2B

Y'know, you're right. I'd forgotten about that, shortening programs for prelims. I don't remember how that used to work though, did a corps shorten songs or did they just not play half their show? I actually did that but can't remember.

Also wondering how many judges they had, must've been different panels I would think but that doesnt soundvery fair.

And you could not stop...no concert number and no halts.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread to read through....I (unfortunately) only got into the activity in late 1977...yet some of the people I initially marched with, were old vets at that point. (Hershey was basically a corps full of former "greats" looking to keep their feet in the activity, with a bunch of us young Buc's (term inserted because I eventually ended up there) who wanted more, and left to do just that...shame...I could use a severely local corps for the odd parade here and there in my "former great" status...especially since I can be in Hershey in 2 minutes now)

Anyway.... My first DCI East in 1978 was one that had the prelims starting at something like 7:00-8:00am and running until about 5:00-6:00PM with God knows how many corps! :blink: Seeing the listing of corps at this performance reminded me of that. (and the picture of JFK Stadium reminded me of a Pink Floyd concert in 1987...another story for another day :blink: ) It's surely a shame that those sorts of numbers don't fill the lists these days. And as a former marching timpanist :cool: I miss that aspect of the all "leg" lines (replete with cymbal peoples) :w00t: Yeah, I'll admit I spent two years playing "pit" on the sideline, but my "formative" years were spent schlepping a marching timpani on my back (and kudo's to the DCI people for putting a picture of a marching timp line in their "photo of the day" on Facebook today! :thumbup: Those that have been and and lived to tell the tale are proud of those "daze"!

So in Drum Corps News at one Dream they said "29,000". I guess some where between "24,000 and 35,000" was always a safe guess THEN! [/size]

And some of those fans were sober. :tongue:

And some of those fans were sober. :tongue:

Can we assume that you're referring to the nuns sitting in the good seats?

Can we assume that you're referring to the nuns sitting in the good seats?

HAHA ... they were the worst offenders!!!!! ... showing up in their station wagon

station-wagon.jpg

(don't ever get hit by it) with a keg in the back ... then they dressed up the keg in "nunnary" fashion and bought it a ticket ... quite a sight when they would razz the non-CYO corps that Mickey would bring in ... they would always blush when Sky would show up at the convent for the judges meeting ... :inlove:

Andy "not the Roo" Lisko

HAHA ... they were the worst offenders!!!!! ... showing up in their station wagon

station-wagon.jpg

(don't ever get hit by it) with a keg in the back ... then they dressed up the keg in "nunnary" fashion and bought it a ticket ... quite a sight when they would razz the non-CYO corps that Mickey would bring in ... they would always blush when Sky would show up at the convent for the judges meeting ... :inlove:

Andy "not the Roo" Lisko

I think you're right, Andy. My introduction to "the real world" came as a young lad at The Dream when the nuns stood up en masse and screamed "Saint XXXXX's got screwed!!!"