Crossmen 2012 - Fragile

You guys have really awesome SOPs too! Crossmen have always had really great soloists.

• Like 1

Hmmm...you can get some sounds from a sitar that will not only raise the hair on the back of your neck, your fillings will fall out!

:smile:

If I am going to be persuaded to fall in love with a maple tree, then I want to have my teeth fillings all intact to properly plant my hug and kiss on that maple tree, thank you very much.

( oh stop it... 'just kidding here, thats all, haha!... good luck to the Crossmen, sounds like an intriguing theme concept. )

Edited by BRASSO

If I am going to be persuaded to fall in love with a maple tree, then I want to have my teeth fillings all intact to properly plant my hug and kiss on that Maple, thank you very much.

( oh stop it... 'just kidding here, thats all, haha!... good luck to the Crossmen, sounds like an intriguing theme concept. )

What has your statement have to with Crossmen? I got a 2 1/2 hour root canal done at the dentist this morning and I love trees!

I liked Crossmen in '78, enjoyed the show last year on FN (there's Something about Crossmen i like:) and looking forward to 2012!

Hi Mike,

I know you're shtick here is to always be devil's advocate for all things new and modern... and fancy yourself progressive. That's cool. :yin-yang:

However...

That's why I'd go see Anoushka Shankar and Karsh Kale in person for state-of-the-art electronic sitar music.

On the other hand, I would not go to an Indian Music concert and expect to be wowed by the brass.

I prefer to let each idiom do what it does best. If we're as good a drum corps as Anoushka Shankar is a sitar player, we'll be in very, very good shape my friend.

It's not about the choice of instrument. It's about the performance.

Just because you CAN use something, doesn't make it the right choice.

:music:

Chuck Naffier

Actually, it was just supposed to be a joke about the type of noises that can come out of a sitar (hence the "fillings fall out" comment and the smiley).

However, to comment on the rest of your post anyway...

You are right about not going to an Indian Music concert and expect to be wowed by the brass. You can get that in many venues, such as drum corps, marching band, concert band, symphony concert, jazz ensemble concerts to name some.

You can be 'wowed' by the use of a sitar outside of purely Indian music. Ravi Shankar's Concerto for Sitar and Orchestra is one such work. You can also hear the sitar used to great effect in pop music. Sitars have also been used in the jazz idiom.

What is nice about drum corps today is that you can be wowed by brass and percussion, and also be wowed by other voices when they are used well. Its great that a sitar could be used if the show designers think it would create the sound they want for a specific moment in the show.

It's not about the choice of instrument. It's about the performance.

That is 100% right, so why make a big deal about limiting the choices?

Just because you CAN use something, doesn't make it the right choice.

That is true as well. Anything used well is the 'right choice' for that moment.

Here is to the Crossmen being at the top of their game this year!

Edited by MikeD

I think part of Chuck's reasoning is it's far more creative to take part for one instrument, and find a way to make it work on another, as opposed to just hitting a button and having the sound.

I mean after all, listen to Cadets 87......so much of that music was for strings, yet they found a way to make it work with brass and percussion.

that shows far more creativity than if they had had a kid pull up the violin patch and play the part on their synth

• Like 1

I think part of Chuck's reasoning is it's far more creative to take part for one instrument, and find a way to make it work on another, as opposed to just hitting a button and having the sound.

I mean after all, listen to Cadets 87......so much of that music was for strings, yet they found a way to make it work with brass and percussion.

that shows far more creativity than if they had had a kid pull up the violin patch and play the part on their synth

There is no single way to be creative. A synth part to create a desired sound, or rewriting it to another instrument, or using the instrument itself in your example above...any and all can work and be equally creative. Just plopping something in a different voice doesn't automatically mean 'creative'.

It could be equally as creative to use, in your example, a string section and make sure the rest of what is going on around it supports that sound, if it is what is desired...or the same with a string patch on a synth, if that is the desired sonority.

agreed...but.....it's more cool to do it just brass and percussion in Chuck's mind as well as creative...and many fans agree

• Like 3