Carolina Crown 2012

no timpani in the pit ... it that it/them back in left field ... and is that a bass on the 50 on the back sideline ...

bass drum and timpani have a very large role in fanfare for the common man. My assumption is that there will be some sort of visual focus on the bass drum back there and timpani (such as being up on an alter or something like MCM 2011 or something) to bring out the musical focus on it as well during the fanfare

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

Lol. Time for an intervention with t-mac :colgate:

It wasn't my fault, Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!

Truth be told, I've only been able to get out there for about 10 minutes so far, but what I saw looked good. Some rather intricate drill and crazy playing going on. Can't wait to see more.

• Like 2

If Crown would start posting "Crown Minutes" again like they did in '09 and '10, we would ALL get to see and hear the corps !!

(that's a not-so-subtle hint, Eric Sabach !!)

What's a Crown Minute? :blink:

Okay, Okay... We are actually shooting footage soon.

• Like 2

Just got an email that Crown will be doing a dress rehearsal at Gardner Webb Univ. in the evening on Sunday June 10th (weather permitting).

Wish I could be there.

I guess the way to simply say what Crown has currently on the field is.......WOW. As I told Crown Baritone last night after rehearsal....."That was f@$%ing awesome!!!!! WOW WOW WOW WOW :worthy:

Likely some of Mr. Klesch's best writing to date and the brass are busting their ###'s playing it.....and real well I should add.

This year the drill is something I have never seen from Crown (in a good way). They are busting their ###'s off running over the field in a high speed kaleidoscopic frenzy (I guess is a good way to put it) and that's just the opening segment.

Sorry, it's the morning after......and I'm still speechless!

Edited by splat-a-drag-a-phonium
  • Like 6

It wasn't my fault, Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!

:thumbup:

I guess the way to simply say what Crown has currently on the field is.......WOW. As I told Crown Baritone last night after rehearsal....."That was f@$%ing awesome!!!!! WOW WOW WOW WOW :worthy:

Likely some of Mr. Klesch's best writing to date and the brass are busting their ###'s playing it.....and real well I should add.

This year the drill is something I have never seen from Crown (in a good way). They are busting their ###'s off running over the field in a high speed kaleidoscopic frenzy (I guess is a good way to put it) and that's just the opening segment.

Sorry, it's the morning after......and I'm still speechless!

That's awesome, but until the DCI judges start giving credit for level of difficulty Crown will continue to get hosed. They should have gotten the memo by now to play all of their hard music standing still. :rolleyes:

(Sorry, still bitter about 2009)

• Like 3

That's awesome, but until the DCI judges start giving credit for level of difficulty Crown will continue to get hosed. They should have gotten the memo by now to play all of their hard music standing still. :rolleyes:

(Sorry, still bitter about 2009)

Difficulty doesn't automatically equal effective. It's the latter that's more important.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 3

Difficulty doesn't automatically equal effective. It's the latter that's more important.

Sure, but right now in DCI a 10 difficulty at 100 effectiveness will outscore a 90 difficulty at 90 effectiveness. There needs to be a balance there.

I remember one of the big arguments for moving off the "tick" system was that the corps that were trying the most original stuff were just getting beaten down and losing to corps who weren't trying very much but were very clean. Ironically, nearly 30 years later DCI is in the exact same spot: difficulty is not rewarded almost at all, cleanliness is all that matters.

I thought 2009 Crown was plenty effective. Even if you want to argue that the Blue Devils were cleaner (they were) or more effective (debatable), Crown's show was about 600 times harder--especially in brass; Blue Devils' brass book in 2009 is the single-easiest brass book I've heard from a DCI Champion, EVER--but was (seemingly) not rewarded for it at all.

IMO YMMV and all that.