Carolina Crown 2012

You've seen a corps portray a 3D rotating cube on the field? Or play Fanfare straight through while spread front to back, goal to goal with six sets of timpani and bass drums? Guess I missed those.

* Let's see... Cavaliers did the full field end zone to end zone (actual sports terms) playing over 30 years ago and countless others have done it in between...

* number of corps over the years have used multiple timpani AND percussion stations around the field (Cavies, Troopers, Star of Indiana, Cadets, Freelancers are just few)

* Garfied Cadets did similar show concept in 1988 with "Fanfare" (Michael Klesch and Tom Hannum also wrote that program as well ;-)

Sorry, there has been very little innovation in the activity in over 20 years, for the exception of some more choreography and body movement

If you want to talk visual and drill, something like Cavaliers, Star or Cadets are the activity's heavy weights...

Have you seen Crown live? Or Blue Devils? Or Boston? Or Phantom? :blink:

yes, seen them all live in performance and in rehearsal... sorry, they arent peeling paint... hell, Dev Soloist are using a mic?!?!?! Just not the power and cut of G Bugles...

Edited by Da_Expert_has_spoken
  • Like 1

* Let's see... Cavaliers did the full field end zone to end zone (actual sports terms) playing over 30 years ago and countless others have done it in between...

* number of corps over the years have used multiple timpani AND percussion stations around the field (Cavies, Troopers, Star of Indiana, Cadets, Freelancers are just few)

* Garfied Cadets did similar show concept in 1988 with "Fanfare" (Michael Klesch and Tom Hannum also wrote that program as well ;-)

Sorry, there has been very little innovation in the activity in over 20 years, for the exception of some more choreography and body movement

If you want to talk visual and drill, something like Cavaliers, Star or Cadets are the activity's heavy weights...

yes, seen them all live in performance and in rehearsal... sorry, they arent peeling paint... hell, Dev Soloist are using a mic?!?!?! Just not the power and cut of G Bugles...

At the Meadowlands ... Crown peeled paint. Hands down. They reminded me very much of the Star 90 and 91 line. Same tone quality, balance and raw power. How this corps is getting the projection they are is beyond me. It shouldn't be possible with the instruments they use now. But they're doing it. As I said earlier, Crown is doing the power with proper quality ... unlike their contemporaries. I threw all judgement out the window with regards to earlier viewings and FN broadcasts. I was sitting with some pretty serious heavyweights in the brass idiom ... and we all kept looking at each other saying, "OMG did you hear that?" .... it was unmistakable. Crown is achieving something that no other corps has come close to with Bb F horns. They sounded and cut just like a top quality G line. There is nothing to complain about here.

• Like 5

So you admit that no one has done both at once while playing the complete Fanfare for the Common Man, which is what I asked! :w00t:

• Like 1

Thanks for the Star acolades but I have to agree that the complete demand Crown's hornline has both physical and musical are harder than what we had back in the 90's.

As for their sound quality, I compare it more to our '92 line than the others of the '90s with the musical demand more relative to '91.

This is all just my opinion but I think hands down they are performing the hardest drum corps show from a music and visual standpoint I ever seen/heard. And WOW they are doing it VERY well!!!

Edited by SACMellos2010
  • Like 6

Just curious. What's the nod to Star 93 specifically? I think I can infer that they had a 2 am rehearsal as well? Help a young one out! Would love to hear about this.

I think they are referring to the Star that was said to be seen i the first two minutes of the drill, as well as the scalene triangle while playing the OMG trill and peel paint part towards the end.

I have heard that second part mentioned as a Star refference, but is there any confirmation from the design staff that it is indeed an homage to Star?

Just curious. What's the nod to Star 93 specifically? I think I can infer that they had a 2 am rehearsal as well? Help a young one out! Would love to hear about this.

I've heard that Star had a 2am rehearsal at Memorial Stadium during the run up to finals in 93

Maybe not, but still the best sound I have ever heard on a marching field.