Corps You Wanted to March/Play In

I wanted to join the Garfield Cadets for the 1977 season.... they were one of my favorite corps back then, and they had French horns, which I had played in a local NJ junior corps.

But then my parents suggested... OK, insisted ...LOL... that I needed to work that summer, since I had just started college.

So I joined DCA's Sunrisers instead. My brother was there, as were a bunch of other people I knew. And they were adding French horns to the line for '77.

It would have been nice to march in DCI Finals with the Cadets that year.... but winning the DCA championship with Sun that same year definitely took quite a bit of the sting out of missing that opportunity. :tongue:

I had an outside shot at marching with the Blue Stars in 1979... my age-out year... we had a family friend who lived in Wisconsin, and the plan was to stay there during winter rehearsals when I could, and for the summer when the corps was not on tour. But the plans fell through, and I stayed with the Sunrisers!

And Rocketman REALLY??????

I hear ya, George.

My mom's family was from Bayonne... I spent a lot of time there growing up... and rest assured they all could read, write and comprehend all sorts of worldly things.

Including which local waterway would be best to deposit the body of anyone who made fun of Bayonne. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

I hear camp is a #####!

wow I was censored - I hear camp is really difficult.

A friend of mine marched with them (The Commandant's Own) and told me that everyone still has to complete boot camp, which was tough, prior to joining the Corps in Washington, DC. She is an excellent baritone player and is acknowledged as being the first female member on their facebook page timeline.

St Joes(and did)

Garfield Cadets

Anaheim Kingsmen

Hawthorne Cabs>some of us in St Joes(Joe Pero Sr for sure) were aging out in 1971 and discussed car pooling

• 2 weeks later...

SCV

Madison

But back then (early 70's), traveling that far from New Orleans was not something that was even talked about

BAC. I had aged out and a lot of my still eligible friends joined Boston in 1986 when it became apparent that GBV were not going to field a corps that year. That was a bummer, I missed everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

The only other corps that I ever wanted to march in was SCV. My first exposure to them was in 1983, my rookie year in drum corps. And while there were plenty of other amazing and great drum corps that inspired me in my early marching days, none of them stole my heart like SCV did.