2012 Blue Devils

Amen.

I have passed no judgement on any show yet...haven't seen or heard any.

But I do know, as is DCP custom, if you say you don't like/get a show, the insults will fly, as will being called a hater.

Which is exactly why people trot out the hater stuff.

If you accuse people of hatred, they're placed in a lose-lose situation: denying it makes them look guiltier or just plain ignorant of their own preconceptions and agreeing just confirms it. It's a hugely popular ploy in media / politics and it made it's way on to DCP quite quickly.

Argue from the merits.

Argue the facts.

Argue from your emotional response.

Argue from your arbitrary opinion.

But don't just label your opponent a hater. It's dishonest.

</soapbox>

As for BD '12 -- I'll wait and see. There's a lot of great material to work with (both musically and visually).

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Is is ok for a Corps show to poke criticism at conventionality and ALSO for some fans to also be extended the same apparently "unconventional" courtesy to say that they may like some things, but not other things ? Or is it just in the domain for a Corps to... as one fan said.... to " give the fans the middle finger " with their show", but it is verboten ( a word used in Zurich )for fans to express some displeasure with that.Do you find any hypocrisy is this ?

Yes, it's absolutely hypocritical. I'm not the most prolific poster but I'll note that I've said as much several times in the never-ending battle with DCP's Blue Devils Borg #1. I really enjoy what BD puts on the field, but I understand why other fans might not enjoy it. Just because they don't enjoy it, and just because they explain why they don't enjoy it doesn't make them a hater. It's funny . . . I've been a big fan of what SCV has done the past couple of years. Like BD, SCV has put out some shows that leave fans scratching their heads. Many, many posters on this forum have expressed their distaste for Bartok and Devil's Staircase but I don't recall many Vanguard fans screeching "Hater!!!" or "Jealous!!!" or "You just don't understand cuz you're stupid!!!"

There is a Corps show for 2012 that is allegedly about a tribute to a group's fundamental sentiment of" not accepting things." Should fans however be REQUIRED to "accept" that a Corps show designer is paying tribute to a short lived group ( Dadaism ) that was heavily into criticism wah wah ? Does freedom of expression apply ONLY to the Corps right to express themselves, but NOT to the fans right to reject what THEY pay tribute to, or play, in their show ?

Accept? Yeah, I'd think it'd be best to accept it. Now just because you accept something doesn't mean you have to like it. Your obviously free to criticize the show, and the borg are free to cry about "hate". And I doubt this will really be a "Dada" tribute show. A truly Dada show would openly flout the standards established by the judging community. And we all know that there's no way the Blue Devils would dream of doing that.

I will try and remain open to the distinct possibility that I will thoroughly enjoy or find intriguing this show, despite stong reservations right now after reading the theme and who it is paying tribute too, and its written convoluted description of the show. But you have to admit that reading the theme for the show does give one some pause if nothing else.

Yes, it does give pause. Or in my case it made me laugh. But experience has taught me that announcements and themes have little to do with the field show. This announcement leaves the impression that BD will come out with a show that'll leave fans and judges alike scratching their heads. Experience teaches that BD will come out with a show that'll bend over backwards to please the judges while leaving some fans confused, and others satisfied.

• Like 1

I'm not a hater. That takes up way too much energy and power to others.

I just don't like the concept of BD 2012. Not liking and hating are two different things.

When I spend beaucoup (sp) dollars traveling and tkts to the show, I personally am bored with these intellectual-type shows, with unfamiliar music, where random riffs and short excerpts and strings of the 'compositions' are played. All this pseudo-mumbo-jumbo pretext introduction to the shows doesn't mean a whole lot to me. If I want to see and hear Dada then I'll take MaMa with me to a real museum.

I wanna see and hear blow my socks off kind of shows! Madison, Cadets, Phantom, Crown, etc!

• Like 3

Yes, it's absolutely hypocritical. I'm not the most prolific poster but I'll note that I've said as much several times in the never-ending battle with DCP's Blue Devils Borg #1. I really enjoy what BD puts on the field, but I understand why other fans might not enjoy it. Just because they don't enjoy it, and just because they explain why they don't enjoy it doesn't make them a hater. It's funny . . . I've been a big fan of what SCV has done the past couple of years. Like BD, SCV has put out some shows that leave fans scratching their heads. Many, many posters on this forum have expressed their distaste for Bartok and Devil's Staircase but I don't recall many Vanguard fans screeching "Hater!!!" or "Jealous!!!" or "You just don't understand cuz you're stupid!!!"

True story right there. I don't know if it's just people on here that get super defensive when criticism is leveled at the Blue Devils, or what, but whenever a show idea gets criticized, people get called "haters" or "jealous of their success". I don't get it. Maybe it's an insecurity thing.

Best of luck to everyone, I'm interested to see where they can go with this show, and hopefully, they'll include more of Rhapsody In Blue than they did in 2009 (that and American in Paris are quoted in the closer)

• Like 1

Oh, I see what you did there.

I could certainly think of a few. And Plan, if there's one thing you've defended ad nauseum on here, it's how individualistic and unconstrained BD is. The last thing they're concerned about is creating buzz.

True. But Buzz Happens!

• Like 2

I tend to agree with you on the hatred that flies when someone says they are not fond of a show concept.

For instance, Last season I was fairly staunch in my dislike for how many people were falling over themselves for a concept that, the first time I saw it personally, was when the Bridgemen did the "War Between the States" in fact this "Point Counterpoint" type of show has been done do death for many years... But when a team decided to do an entire show around a concept that used to be only good for a few moments in a show back in the day... Well frankly y'all went nuts for it!... And as some pointed out, the age old concept kind of bored us... we were swiftly dispatched.

So I totally understand where you are coming from!

:devil::ph34r::devil:

• Like 1

Memo to Blue Devils Staff:

Please cut all 37 pieces from your 2012 theatrical production with the exception of two. Instead, just fill up 11 1/2 minutes worth of "Peppy and George" and "New Arrival", create whatever storyline you want, and give it whatever title you want for this year's drum corps show. In fact, come to think of it, you can completely forego the storyline and title too, as those aren't really necessary either.

Sincerely,

Your Ex-Diehard Fans

Hm. If you're Ex, then maybe you were never as Diehard as you thought.

• Like 1

Hm. If you're Ex, then maybe you were never as Diehard as you thought.

Just thought I'd point out that the term is "Diehard" not "DieImpossible" or "FormerMarchingMember". tongue.gif

It's difficult to realize that you no longer love something that you once did.