2012 Blue Devils

In the 70's and 80's some fans were not fans of BD due to primarily jealousy reasons. It was rare back then however for BD to have such angst on the part of many national fans on their SHOWS. By and large, the national audiences loved the BD shows in the 70's and 80's.... each year they moved the envelope then too.Much of their music in the 70's and 80's was not all that familiar to most audiences either. Additionaly, one would be hard pressed to find a BD alum from ( say '74-76, ) not liking the shows of BD in the 80's. They might quibble on which Corps were better, but the BD alums were not as disapointed as many of the BD alums are today with the BD shows of late.... as well executed and performed as they have been.

BD has never been a Corps that stood still. They always took risks. They played " Tommy " after playing some years of Jazz. Its not so much that most audiences don't like " change ", its that they want the change to be appealing. SOME fans don't want any change. Thats true. But on the whole they are small in number compared to those that are willing to be open to the new. Most fans will accept a change in style and show if it is appealing to them. But thats been the rub with BD of late it seems to me. They have the talent, staff, resources, and they place well because they execute and perform their show well. But thats a bit different than generating audience appeal with their progessive need to push the envelope. BD has almost always pushed the envelope. Its just that its been difficult for them to find the audience receptions to their recent shows of late that for years and years was almost a given that it would have mass appeal with national audiences.

Amen to that...

Even though not a note has been played nor a step marched several of you seem to have already condemned the BD 2012 production.

Based on what.... two words?

Exactly...Has anyone actually heard anything about the show it self?

• Like 1

In the 70's and 80's some fans were not fans of BD due to primarily jealousy reasons. It was rare back then however for BD to have such angst on the part of many national fans on their SHOWS. By and large, the national audiences loved the BD shows in the 70's and 80's.... each year they moved the envelope then too.Much of their music in the 70's and 80's was not all that familiar to most audiences either. Additionaly, one would be hard pressed to find a BD alum from ( say '74-76, ) not liking the shows of BD in the 80's. They might quibble on which Corps were better, but the BD alums were not as disapointed as many of the BD alums are today with the BD shows of late.... as well executed and performed as they have been.

BD has never been a Corps that stood still. They always took risks. They played " Tommy " after playing some years of Jazz. Its not so much that most audiences don't like " change ", its that they want the change to be appealing. SOME fans don't want any change. Thats true. But on the whole they are small in number compared to those that are willing to be open to the new. Most fans will accept a change in style and show if it is appealing to them. But thats been the rub with BD of late it seems to me. They have the talent, staff, resources, and they place well because they execute and perform their show well. But thats a bit different than generating audience appeal with their progessive need to push the envelope. BD has almost always pushed the envelope. Its just that its been difficult for them to find the audience receptions to their recent shows of late that for years and years was almost a given that it would have mass appeal with national audiences.

A lot of truth here, but this design staff is so in sync with each other, coupled with the need to re-make tradition in a way that is interesting and motivating to them that they really have no other choice. BD's design team is like the Apple Computer innovators...just about the time they design the iphone they're already thinking....next! That's because true innovation doesn't look back, particularly if they're in the zone, and like it or not, BD is in the zone. Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way!

Even though not a note has been played nor a step marched several of you seem to have already condemned the BD 2012 production.

Based on what.... two words?

Haters gonna hate.

• Like 2

BD has never been a Corps that stood still.

Except when they're playing their most difficult brass licks. *ba-da-bing!* :tongue:

• Like 7

BD's design team is like the Apple Computer innovators...just about the time they design the iphone they're already thinking....next!

I get your point about innovation, but Apple Computer spends beaucoup bucks in bringing in customers and in customer surveys, customer meetings, etc and asking THEM what they want in the next generation of computer and telecommunication products... and they deliver on THAT with new technical innovative advancers for the electronics consumer. Apple Computer ( and all highly successful businesses ) don't make things for their OWN challenge, enjoyment and fulfillment. BD seems fully capable to me to be BOTH innovative and a huge crowd pleaser. We know this. Thats because they have done this plenty of times in the past.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

BD's design team is like the Apple Computer innovators...just about the time they design the iphone they're already thinking....next! That's because true innovation doesn't look back, particularly if they're in the zone, and like it or not, BD is in the zone. Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way!

Can someone please explain to me exactly what Blue Devils have done to SO completely revolutionize the activity that we are now comparing them to Apple?? Doing weird shows just doesn't fit that bill for me.

• Like 5

Can someone please explain to me exactly what Blue Devils have done to SO completely revolutionize the activity that we are now comparing them to Apple?? Doing weird shows just doesn't fit that bill for me.

Can someone please explain to me exactly why Apple is considered so innovative? tongue.gif

Popular? Sure! Great designs? Sure!

• Like 3

Exactly...Has anyone actually heard anything about the show it self?

I do think its a fair criticism that some of us.. myself included ... are jumping the gun here on BD's 2012 show and are already convincing ourselves that its going to be a brilliant work of high brow, introspective, avarde garde brasstimological poopiness. We should hold off on the criticism, its a valid point, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Okay.. if you like their shows lately, good for you.

I do not. I have voiced that opinon many times.

I recognize the excellent level each show has been executed.

You CANNOT deny the less than enthusiastic crowd reaction this corps has received the past couple of years. Polite cheering at the end of the show. Some corps 13-20 get a better crowd reaction.

My only point is, you can have yours, and I can have mine, but why can't we both have it all?

I'm not asking them to play the same old stuff year after year.

There is SO MUCH MUSIC out there. Hell all the music they have chosen for all of these shows is awesome music... except for maybe City of Glass (IMO of course... just not a fan of that stuff.. and I would explain more... but that's for like a serious discussion about avant garde music)

It's the way they choose to present the rep that they choose. It doesn't do anything for me. I watch BD.. I'm amazed by their technique, their almost flawless visual execution... and hey why not, they play pretty #### well to. But that's it. That's as far as it goes.

I can appreciate all that stuff.. probably because I marched, and I consider myseld a decent musician with a decent ear for things, and I appreciate great performance. But their shows just leave me feeling flat at the end.

Unlike Cadets, Crown, Cavies, Phantom, SCV, Madison, etc.

Are all of those corps doing the same thing?? NO! Thank God!!!!

But they are all entertaining (SCV is debatable almost along the same lines as BD)

I just wish BD could do what they do, and entertain the #### out of me like they used to. 2003? 2004? Hell... 2005, 2006 aren't my favorite, but I can enjoy it!

I even started to enjoy last year... but something just didn't click.

Just stop calling me a ####### hater.

That word is grossly used by people who can't seem to form a valid argument to counter seemingly negative posts about a corps they like.

• Like 4