Good skills to have before trying out for drum corps?

I plan on going to auditions for Carolina Crown for the 2013 season and was wondering what kind of skill level they are looking for. I've been trying to watch their show from the past couple of years to see what the highest tosses are for weapons and such, and from what I can see it seems like they toss ensemble 5's (rifle an sabre) with occasional variations (like catching in port angle) and sometimes 6's as well.

Right now I have a pretty good consistency on rifle and sabre 5's (haven't tried ports or anything yet) and I am currently working on my 6's along with improving consistency on 5's. I have a pretty good base of movement and dance, although nothing too advanced, and I have a good understanding of a variety of flag tosses and choreography. (Stuff like wind up tosses, 45 tosses, and catching behind the back.) I am also somewhat athletic as well and have a lot of endurance from participating in swim teams and track and field.

I am really nervous about trying out since this will be my first time going to an audition for a color guard, and I really don't want to seem very inexperienced. sad.gif I understand that even if I don't make it, it will be a really good experience to have. What do you think my chances are of making it if I keep on practicing until the first camp? Any advice or tips from people who have gone to any camps and know what they do will be highly appreciated. thumbup.gif

Thanks!!

Edited by Sonic_Spinner

aside from movement/equipment skills your people skills are the most important! :thumbup:

getting along with others,being supportive,showing appreciation and gratefullness,abilty to be open to learning and paying attention,helping someone else to do better are all characters that are important and will be noticed.

have fun!

everything dugg said PLUS/....letting them know you have the money for this activity and can pay right away...this also means alot...way to many dead beats in the activity who feel entitled.......thats the business side of this

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

way to many dead beats in the activity who feel entitled.......

so true! :w00t:

When you mean right away do you mean right at the camps or earlier?

well earlier is better but just show at least you DO have ALL the money for this. Directors ( especially winter programs ) are getting smart to empty promises. Also after move in's and being away all summer , cant work to make it, unless a parent is paying. Many times members forget this. Also it seems you have some pretty good contacts. If so and your skills are pretty good as competitive as some of these WC guards are not everyone has the experience many think they have. Yes there are the so called Divas ( or think they are ...lol ) Ive also seen HS freshmen blow some of those away. Good Luck and Dont be intimidated. LISTEN, WATCH CAREFULLY, BE EAGAR TO LEARN, BE HELPFUL IF YOU CAN BE, BE ATTENTIVE TO STAFF.