Blue Knights to use Jupiter Brass

This is a simple equation for Jupiter. If they get sufficient presence in DCI, it will open a huge market for them. 1/2 price horns are very attractive to high schools across the nation *IF* they are of sufficient quality. How do you make the quality argument to a potential customer?

"One third of all DCI Corps played Jupiter instruments this summer. Summer tour is much harder on instruments than a band season. Ask *them* about the quality! "

Jupiter will keep improving the product until it's good enough for their sales team to make that pitch. They don't need to be the best -- just good enough.

Jupiter instruments suck.

There is an ebb and flow to these Mfg's in my opinion in terms of the quality of the instrumentation. One Mfg. is on top re. quality, then another comes out with another generation of horns to try and top that... some good, some not so good. But I 've never seen a situation where the mfg. of the horn ( or drum ) had anything to do with a Corps score or placement in that caption. So whatever BK's decides, they'll be just fine on whatever horn Mfg. they ultimately decide to use, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Interesting. Was this Nick Scotella who designed their '08 show?

Yes and no.

Nick was basically spoon fed by the corps and Tony Hall in the '08 season. In '09, he was much more on his own. We saw how that turned out.

Nick is a good guy and he is a great contributor to the marching arts, but he's some how taken the wrong path. He should be in instruction, not design. That was his forte as a member (horn seargent), and he could be one of the greatest ever.

Of course, this can be read as a dog on Nick--- when in reality, I really wish he'd go in the direction that made him a great member, not the direction that lead him to design.

• Like 4

Boston only went up as a result of Blue Stars going down.

Apples and oranges, bro. They scored higher in brass (and everywhere else, I assume) and therefore moved up. It had nothing to do with anyone else dropping.

• Like 2

Who sounded "tinny" with the last gen euphs? I can't think of any Jupiter corps that sounded "tinny" in the middle.

playing it by itself, it made a more "tinny" noise than a fuller yamaha, that's what I meant, although corps may have different methods to overcome that.

playing it by itself, it made a more "tinny" noise than a fuller yamaha, that's what I meant, although corps may have different methods to overcome that.

The Yamaha might have sounded a LITTLE fuller... and don't get me wrong, I love Yamaha, it's all I really like, but the Yamaha euph is probably the worst instrument on the field today. As much as I might rag on Jupiter, the euph is a good horn.

• Like 1

Never mind the Jupiter horns - what is Blue Knights actually playing for their show this year??? It's only May 1st...

Sorry - didn't intend to highjack the thread, just thought I would throw that in. Seems like the show announcements are a matter of national secrecy this year.

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 4

Never mind the Jupiter horns - what is Blue Knights actually playing for their show this year??? It's only May 1st...

Sorry - didn't intend to highjack the thread, just thought I would throw that in. Seems like the show announcements are a matter of national secrecy this year.

Firebird,though I don't know what the actual title is. It's been talked about in other threads as well. As for official anouncement I thought they already did but I haven't been on their website lately.:)

Wes P