Blue Knights to use Jupiter Brass

Firebird,though I don't know what the actual title is. It's been talked about in other threads as well. As for official anouncement I thought they already did but I haven't been on their website lately.:)

Wes P

No official announcement yet, Wesley. :thumbdown:

BK show theme for 2012 is " Deadlines Come and Go" ( The Music of Jerry Garcia )

• Like 1

Firebird is a post-show exhibition tune. The show's called 'A Family Goes To Disneyland." It's the story of a family that used to road trip in a decent, but expensive car that barely fit them. Then, they get a far more affordable and comfortable family wagon with a new paint job and great gas mileage. Fun times had by all, running, loud notes, "CHAK, BU-BOOSH", horns down, drums do an 8 count smack-someone visual, and they score a 31.528Ï€.

On topic, I really enjoy the sound of the instruments. I love that they're shiny, new, and something a kid in the hornline can be proud to take care of. That may not mean much to people, these days. I played a beat to hell and back Kanstul mello that I really hope is melted down into pawn shop jewelry. I'm happy for the horns. They deserve far better than drum corps budgets can allow, but this is a great year for them. They're motivated, humble, and willing to give any comers a demonstration of the Jupiter/BK quality.

Jason

• Like 3

The Yamaha might have sounded a LITTLE fuller... and don't get me wrong, I love Yamaha, it's all I really like, but the Yamaha euph is probably the worst instrument on the field today.

So.... if you're saying that the yamaha sounds fuller, and that you love yamaha, what makes you say that they yamaha euph is the worst instrument on the field?

So.... if you're saying that the yamaha sounds fuller, and that you love yamaha, what makes you say that they yamaha euph is the worst instrument on the field?

Yes.

The Yamaha sounds good in the middle register... not above the bass clef or below. It plays ridiculously out of tune in either of those registers. Also, it seems like it's not built to the same quality that other Yamahas are.

I played/play a Yamaha for my whole drum corps career, and I really think the rest of the hornline is the best there is. Just listen to Crown.

I think probably every other maker makes a better euph- I've played the Jupiter, which was great; I've played the standard King, which is really great; I've played the System Blue, the Dynasty (which is still better), etc. I think Yamaha just gave up on the design- I've talked at length to a long time member of the Cadets that was around when they were first demoed to them. They were promptly sent back. You'll notice that Cadets only use them off and on from 2003 til now. The baritone is simply better.

• Like 1

Yamaha euphs sounds great. But the intonation is a little too much to deal with at times.

That's why you never see all euphs instead of baris in a yamaha line. I think the King Baris are awful. It's probably why many King lines have used majority of Euphs (not sure on the numbers from Boston and BK when they used Kings)

I do think when you have the Yamaha Baris and then like 6 to 8 euphs it creates an awesome sound. What does crown do anymore? Was it something like that?

I know in 08 Cadets tried 2nd and 3rd parts on Euphs, and then I think they changed the seconds to baris early season or spring training. I think.

My memory is failing me tonight. I drove for like 5 hours today on the busiest roads in SE PA and south jersey... so my brain is shot.

SCV is doing a 16euph/6bari line this season I think (at least what I saw at the birthday dinner)

• Like 1

Sorry for not knowing there was not an official announcement....:( However, it's been mentioned in other threads and for the record I have no idea how it's scored, how much of the piece is used, etc... So at this point I'm not really letting the cat out of the bag.:) I'm just as curious as the rest to hear and see it. Maybe just a tad... Good luck this summer!!

Wes P

• Like 1