2001 Santa Clara Vanguard is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week

Great, great show! My first live Finals. :)

What do others remember most from their first live Finals?

Sitting on the Side 1 45 at the Rose Bowl with Rick V. from Phantom sitting next to me during their show.

Backfield at JFK stadium, 1969 VFW.

Well, I didn't specify DCI; so I guess I did leave it open for VFW or even Wimbledon.

• Like 1

My first live finals was in 2008. Two memories -

- "In second place, with a score of 98.1..."

- Almost met Boo at Semis. Was sitting a few feet from him, in fact, but JohnD told me not to bother him as he was working the blog. :)

Mike

• Like 1

My first live finals was in 2008. Two memories -

- "In second place, with a score of 98.1..."

- Almost met Boo at Semis. Was sitting a few feet from him, in fact, but JohnD told me not to bother him as he was working the blog. :)

Mike

I am eminently botherable. And I think the blog was working me.

• Like 1

My first live finals was 2008.

I remember being mad I wasn't in the show.

I remember it being a great show all together. Crown and Phantom stole the show. Phantom's performance was magical. Scores/retreat. The camera shot straight up to the stands from in front of the drum major brings back memories.

I couldn't even hear the end of the show the crowd was so loud.

My first live Finals was 1999 at Camp Randall. What I remember about that Saturday night was that SCV had "it" like I've never seen or heard a corps have "it" before or since. Vanguard blew the stands down and got ovations that rivaled the home-town Scouts. Really, IMO, it wasn't even close: SCV should have topped the Blue Devils by at least half a point. BD was a little bit more technically proficient (as they usually are), except in percussion, but Vanguard had about 1,000 times the energy, emotion, and effect, and you could FEEL it. The crowd definitely felt it. I always thought Rondinaro's catch-phrase ("THIS PLACE IS ELECTRIC") was just a cheesy cliché, until I was there in person and you could literally feel the atmosphere around you change during Vanguard's performance.

Still the best corps performance I've ever seen live.

I also remember getting back to the Radisson Hotel (sidebar: I made "Madison Radisson" jokes for about five months) after 1:00 AM and having a large pizza delivered to my room at two in the morning for only $8. Gotta love college towns. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I remember the end of Phantom's Virtuoso show (audience on their feet when the guard broke out the whole color spectrum of silks)...telling my friend to prepare herself for Vanguard's "wake up" impact...new era chant...finally seeing The Cadets live!...watching my trumpet-playing friend's reaction to Glassmen's soloist...

• Like 1