Who are the 5 WC Corps you think will benefit the most with new judgin

You must not have received many of his private messages. HATEFUL!

We've shared a few, been very nice to talk to, actually.

Admittedly, I took a few years off, when he/she registered their account. That first time GT2 saw me posting, there were definitely some interesting exchanges (mostly because GT2 thought I was somehow trying to stir up stuff, when in reality we had both had our accounts for years, just hadn't posted siumultaneously).

With all of the flame throwing, trolling, and setting some people up--- I've never gotten a hateful PM. Most people take me for what I am: A discussion instigator. As I was telling Hostrauser, my role on the forum is really to bring out the silliness of taking this place so seriously. I also, although some people can't see past the "over the topness", contribute some information and useful content to the forum.

We march around in old quasi military uniforms, altered by gay men, to music that most people don't recognize, everyone thinks we are marcihng band, we pay to do it---it is hilarious we talk of ourselves with so much snobbery.

• Like 5

Hopefully everyone. GT2 is a pretty laid back, composed, reasonable poster. Nothing like me at all. At least we seem to agree on something (tasty chinese food).

THAT is true!

Actually I agree with most things you say, I just don't deem it necessary to post haha

don't worry, you're still my pal haha.

We march around in old quasi military uniforms, altered by gay men,

Its called " change ". We learn to either go with the flow, or we just go.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

What do you mean - what's your thought?

Peace,

Fred O.

Well I mean, just look at the fans reaction during BD's recent shows vs. say Madisons show last year. While I will not discredit BD for being where they are for a reason, and they are of course the cleanest, arent the new sheets suppose to juxtapose the audiences reactions more. My point is, BD shows dont pull at anyones heart strings, nor make you wanna throw any babys. No matter how good they have been, they arent exactly trying to connect with the audience.

• Like 1

bah nevermind

Edited by Stryfe

Sorry, but I'm not following your train of thought. Why/How do you think placement may be affected if the judging remains basically the same?

Fred O.

Sorry, I was implying that I think placements of corps are going to change a lot this year, not from the judging sheets changing, but from the corps themselves changing, etc.

Edited by Forte Piano
  • Like 2

Think about the corps that are perenniel fan favorites? What holds them back from winning? The fact they are dirty and focus on excitement within the show, and drastic changes.

So yes, a scoring system that factors in the audience reaction into GE WILL BENEFIT LOUD AND DIRTY.

I'm thinking you're missing the intent of the changes. It's not going to be an applause meter. I think the biggest thing is it will force corps to use all of the triad of effect, as opposed to just going after one third of it

Well I mean, just look at the fans reaction during BD's recent shows vs. say Madisons show last year. While I will not discredit BD for being where they are for a reason, and they are of course the cleanest, arent the new sheets suppose to juxtapose the audiences reactions more. My point is, BD shows dont pull at anyones heart strings, nor make you wanna throw any babys. No matter how good they have been, they arent exactly trying to connect with the audience.

Let's keep things in perspective:

1) when you say stuff like

BD shows dont pull at anyones heart strings
you are incorrect to imply that Blue Devils show appeals to no one. Their shows, from what I've seen, appeal to many people. All of them? No. The majority of fans? Hard to say for sure. Many people? I think that's a fair stipulation.

2) I get what you're saying making a difference between audience reaction vs quality of design/performance. In my experience, the mainstream in general are morons. I don't mean that in relations to mainstream drum corps fans, per say, but taste is relative and in general audiences like to be pandered to. Often "artists" who mix art with commerce often try to appeal to the lowest common denominator, which often delivers a watered-down product devoid of most artistic merit.

For example, "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" is the 4th highest grossing film of all time. It made a heap of money, which can be correlated with popularity. However, you will be hard pressed to find any film scholar that would even entertain the notion that film is anything other than bad. It appealed to the mainstream, but has little artistic value. In contrast, Citizen Kane is often considered one of (if not the) greatest film ever produced. It revolutionized special effects and cinematography, and is often at the top of "best of" type lists. Citizen Kane, however, didn't even rank in the Top 5 grossing films the year of its release!

Mainstream audiences don't like to be challenged, which is why many artistic films only make modest amounts at the box office.

But you want to know what's beautiful? We can have our cake and eat it too. People who love robots blowing up other robots can see Transformers, while people who like deep, challenging films can watch Citizen Kane. Heck people who like to be challenged on Thursday and watch explosions on Friday can see both films.

Same with drum corps.

Madison Scouts can deliver crowd friendly shows that appeal to the masses; Blue Devils can deliver shows that appeal to people who appreciate deeper concepts. Why would anyone want to homogenize the activity and force every corps to design shows the same?

• Like 3