Cavaliers - 6 basses

110 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Cavies can pull it off.
    • NO! 5 basses forever!
    • who gives a frosty donut how many basses they march?

Six bass drums is nothing new. We had six in The Cavaliers in 1976 under Dan Spalding, who is the guy who went to Spirit of Atlanta in 1977 and gave their drum line a ton of instruments that were kind of out there for the time, like septuplet tenor drums, a vibraphone that flipped over to be a marimba, (carried...yikes),

Holy crap, that was real?

That was my first year watching finals on PBS. My back was out at the time and I was on serious pain medication plus valium, so I always assumed I was just hallucinating.

####.

Holy crap, that was real?

That was my first year watching finals on PBS. My back was out at the time and I was on serious pain medication plus valium, so I always assumed I was just hallucinating.

####.

It was real. Since I had already graduated from college and was looking for a band director's job while on tour, I was given some time off to go over to where Spirit of Atlanta was rehearsing to talk with their staff about possible job openings in the south. (Spirit's rehearsal site was very near ours.) That's when I got to see the vibe/marimba combo. I was complaining about how the marimba, with the new t-carrier, was pushing down my spine. I found it difficult to complain after seeing that...it was unbelievably heavy!

Spirit performed the music for the Finals retreat that year, (1977), and for the most part, weren't seen by many other corps because as a new corps, they were typically on first at shows.

(Hoping my memory isn’t completely on the fritz …) I believe I marched in a line with eleven bass drums. Two guys each carrying double drums and a third guy with a triple set. Then four guys with traditionally-carried bass drums. (OK, call the triples tenors; that still totals eight bass drums.)

In addition to marching six basses in 1976,

Cavaliers marched six basses in 1986 (observe: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IDAQtEHol5E),

and marched 8 basses in the 1992 drum solo (

).

In other words . . . this ain't new. ;-)

'81 too...

Was there a poll like this when Madison marched 20 contras in 2010?

No, because Madison can do no wrong, in many people's eyes. Even over the top, patronizing tributes to a horrifying historical experience in our culture is PRAISED.

Had the Cavaliers done MS show last year, there would have been a DCP meltdown.

• Like 3

That was an awesome drumline! The bottom basses had rear view mirrors!

Yes. It wa an awesome drumline. If I remember correctly their bottom bass (#9) was a 36".