All corps on the same horns?

Hey guys,

After seeing so many corps switch from either Yamaha or King to Jupiter, what do you think the chances are that all corps will eventually be playing on the same brand?

Granted, I don't have a clue about how much money is spent by corps for these horns, all I know is it seems Jupiter gives out some great deals.

I'm preparing now to march my 2nd season of Jupiter, so I have some experience on these babies, and to me, they are great ensemble horns, just.... Not so strong on the individual level.

Hey guys,

After seeing so many corps switch from either Yamaha or King to Jupiter, what do you think the chances are that all corps will eventually be playing on the same brand?

Granted, I don't have a clue about how much money is spent by corps for these horns, all I know is it seems Jupiter gives out some great deals.

I'm preparing now to march my 2nd season of Jupiter, so I have some experience on these babies, and to me, they are great ensemble horns, just.... Not so strong on the individual level.

I marched 3 years on kings and 3 on yamaha.

I much preferred the Yamaha.

Anyone have a list of Corps/Brands?

I marched 3 years on kings and 3 on yamaha.

I much preferred the Yamaha.

Anyone have a list of Corps/Brands?

I have actually been compiling this list for world class corps, and updating it with new announcements on this subject.

Academy: Jupiter

Bluecoats: Yamaha

Blue Devils: King

Blue Knights: Jupiter

Blue Stars: Jupiter

Boston Crusaders: Jupiter

Cadets: Yamaha

Carolina Crown: Yamaha

Cascades: King

Cavaliers:: Yamaha

Colts: Yamaha

Crossmen: Yamaha

Glassmen: Jupiter

Jersey Surf: Jupiter

Madison Scouts: Yamaha

Mandarins: King

Pacific Crest: Jupiter

Phantom Regiment: Jupiter

Pioneer: King

Santa Clara Vanguard: Yamaha

Spirit of Atlanta: Yamaha

Teal Sound: Jupiter

Troopers: Yamaha

Yamaha: 10 corps

Jupiter: 9 corps

King: 4 corps

Dynasty: 0 corps

All of this is based on information currently available, so things could change I also have this information available for drums if you would like that also

Edited by dasboot
  • Like 1

I am sure said company that they would switch to would be very happy with the profit income. Hahaha

I have actually been compiling this list for world class corps, and updating it with new announcements on this subject.

Academy: Jupiter

Bluecoats: Yamaha

Blue Devils: King

Blue Knights: Jupiter

Blue Stars: Jupiter

Boston Crusaders: Jupiter

Cadets: Yamaha

Carolina Crown: Yamaha

Cascades: King

Cavaliers:: Yamaha

Colts: Yamaha

Crossmen: Yamaha

Glassmen: Dynasty

Jersey Surf: Jupiter

Madison Scouts: Yamaha

Mandarins: King

Pacific Crest: Jupiter

Phantom Regiment: Jupiter

Pioneer: King

Santa Clara Vanguard: Yamaha

Spirit of Atlanta: Yamaha

Teal Sound: Jupiter

Troopers: Yamaha

Yamaha: 10 corps

Jupiter: 8 corps

King: 4 corps

Dynasty: 1 corps

All of this is based on information currently available, so things could change

Illiana Lancers - Olds Ultratones

Oh - that was 30 years ago...

• Like 4

Glassmen will be playing on Kings.

I appreciate this information. Also, do you know if the glassmen will be selling their old dynasty horns? I only ask because I need to acquire a B-flat marching tuba for some up coming gigs

So do you guys think all of those corps will eventually all be playing Jupiter or Yamaha?

I suspect that the incentive for a company that doesn't have many lines to persuade a few corps to switch (often by convincing instructors to come on board as endorsers) is too great for one company to gather all lines under its banner. In the days before bands used the same instruments as corps, this wasn't a factor. But now, having some top corps to list in advertising is a big plus; something we can take pride in.

And it only takes one person like Al Murray moving to Ludwig to develop new instruments to shake things up. We saw what happened when he went to Dynasty years ago and they had no marching percussion instruments. Stay tuned for the future when he starts bringing out more drums and puts Ludwig back on the map, like it was eons ago.

Everything old is new again.

• Like 1