2012 Contra/Tuba Lines

I'm just curious to see which corps are marching the full 16, the average 12, less, more, etc. Anyone have numbers?

EDIT: Per request, here are the tuba stats on each World Class corps:

Academy - 16

Blue Devils - 12

Blue Knights - 14

Blue Stars -

Bluecoats - 16

Boston Crusaders - 16

Cadets - 14 or 16, TBD

Carolina Crown - 16

Cascades - 10

Cavaliers - 16

Colts -

Crossmen - 12

Glassmen -

Jersey Surf - 12

Madison Scouts - 16

Mandarins -

Pacific Crest -

Phantom Regiment - 16

Pioneer -

Santa Clara Vanguard - 16

Spirit of Atlanta -

Teal Sound - 10

Troopers - 14

Edited by MetalTones2012

I'm just curious to see which corps are marching the full 16, the average 12, less, more, etc. Anyone have numbers?

Boston Crusaders will go on the field with 16 tubas, I'm told ( and in addition, take along tuba alts with them )

Edited by BRASSO

I for one hope Madison is marching 20 again. :thumbup:

Madison is going with 16 tubas this season.

• Like 2

Teal Sound was going to march 12 but some vets didnt return and we had some people switch to euph.

Teal Sound-10

I personally think Corps really only need 12 Tubas. The more beyond that point seems like a bit of an unneccessary overkill and of dubious value. If I had an 80 number brass section and was given the choice of more tubas beyond 12, or more higher voices, even more middle voices, I'd take the extra high and middle, or even Bari's. 12 Tubas on a field give the low balance needed, imo. Corps like SCV and Phantom in 89 ( for example ) had 10 Tubas, and the sound seemed balanced among sections and certainly deep and loud enough. World Class Corps in the 70's, with maybe 52-60 brass had 6-8 Tubas. Corps today that have 66-80 brass and have 12 Tubas are just fine in Tuba numbers, imo. But thats just me. Brass arrangers that believe they need more is ok by me too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

I like the look (and sound) of a large contra line myself. The problem is now that most corps are doing so much bass doubling with their synths it doesn't seem worth the cost of those expensive horns. Now if they'd just stop doing that all would be right with the world.

• Like 6

I like the look (and sound) of a large contra line myself. The problem is now that most corps are doing so much bass doubling with their synths it doesn't seem worth the cost of those expensive horns. Now if they'd just stop doing that all would be right with the world.

Even with 12 tubas who can all play, you don't need to have their part doubled in the synth. Wish every corps would do that. I can't stand obnoxious subwoofer when I want to hear a strong brass choir.

• Like 4