When a corps went co-ed

When did certain corps go co-ed?

I'm working on revising (not revisionist - Ha!) the "History of the Colts." In 1965 the then named Legionnaires (Colts now) went co-ed. How rare, or not, was this for 1965?

Thanks for any in-put.

Hurricanes went co-ed in 1977

Females the first year were only allowed in the guard, In 1979, I believe, they went full female all sections

When did certain corps go co-ed?

I'm working on revising (not revisionist - Ha!) the "History of the Colts." In 1965 the then named Legionnaires (Colts now) went co-ed. How rare, or not, was this for 1965?

Thanks for any in-put.

Hurricanes went co-ed in 1977

Females the first year were only allowed in the guard, In 1979, I believe, they went full female all sections

Skyliners were 1978 for the guard and 1980 for horns and drums ...

:-)

"Co-Ed Juniors":

Two of the "Park City's" juniors the St. Ann's Parish corps (Later called the "Loyalaires") and the Conn Royal Lancers were "Co-Ed's" in all sections from the begining. The drum lines were, in the main "Male" but there were females (Myself included) in the hornlines. The guards in both were "Female".

One of our "City" rivals the Bucccaneers from St Raphael's Parish STARTED as "Co-Ed" with a female CG. It was disbanded around 1963 when their Parish started an all girls corps. I don't believe very many of them made the switch, but quite a few of them ended up in the Bridgeport PAL Cadets (Corps had a "Co-Ed" CG) and Royal Lancers.

Casper Troopers were always "Co-Ed", as were the St Mathias Cadets. The olde Rockford Purple Knights had at least ONE "Female" musician as Sandra Stone won the VFW National Championship tennor drummer trophy back in the early 1960's. I'm sure there were several more "Back Then". I understand that the old Senorits "ALL Girls" corps from California had ONE MALE in the unit, a drummer....

"Back in the day" there were scads of "All Girls" corps such as the Audubon Bon Bons and the Debonaires. I can't recall if any of them allowed males in their units.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Didn't the Caballeros go co-ed in 80-81? (and it was only guard at the time)

Didn't the Caballeros go co-ed in 80-81? (and it was only guard at the time)

When I left Westshore in 72, we were all male, later in 72 I was a Gardner Guard for a short time and they were all male. Later in 72, I went to Johnsonburg and they were co-ed already. That was last time I was in an all male corps(maybe 74 with Bucs, but can't remember for sure). Hamburg was already co-ed when I marched there. I must say co-ed is the way to go, especially all-age.....

I believe Westshore came back in 74 to go co-ed, at least for the guard

I believe Westshore came back in 74 to go co-ed, at least for the guard

Total co-ed in 74... Lauren (can't remember last name - rode with Steve Myers?) in the drumline and probably some female upper brass. At latest horn line was co-ed in 75.... first female Bari ca 1978....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

so how many realize this... Crusaders (Rochester) were co-ed until 1959 when Vince decided that to go "big time" they must become all male... they integrated again in either 1969 or 70 - not sure which as I was with Brigadiers at the time. By my return to Cru in the fall of 1971, females were firmly entrenched as a major part of the corps...