When a corps went co-ed

Total co-ed in 74... Lauren (can't remember last name - rode with Steve Myers?) in the drumline and probably some female upper brass. At latest horn line was co-ed in 75.... first female Bari ca 1978....

Lauren Harper...she's still around, I talk to her on FB occasionally...she had a great set of hands...played tenors when I first joined, and snare when she "retired".

Lauren Harper...she's still around, I talk to her on FB occasionally...she had a great set of hands...played tenors when I first joined, and snare when she "retired".

:worthy:

Thought she played snare but that didn't sound right for 1974.

:worthy:

Thought she played snare but that didn't sound right for 1974.

Not sure what she did prior to 1979. I just remember meeting her the first practice I attended, and she played tenors 79 and 80..then slid to snare for 81..I don't recall if she stayed on for the next few...The mind isn't what it used to be.

Back to my other post in this thread (and back on topic) what year DID Cabs go co-ed? (now it's bugging me)

Thanks folks - this made for some interesting reading.

so how many realize this... Crusaders (Rochester) were co-ed until 1959 when Vince decided that to go "big time" they must become all male... they integrated again in either 1969 or 70 - not sure which as I was with Brigadiers at the time. By my return to Cru in the fall of 1971, females were firmly entrenched as a major part of the corps...

ok tom i'll help ya here. your right about being co-ed till 59. we remained an all male corps untill 1971. for 71 and 72 only the guard was allowed co-ed. in 1973 the entire corps went co-ed. and the first woman who joined the corps in 71 was jakie bell ( stewert now ). she was a long time alpine girl and a very close friend of mine. when bob ashton decided to hag it up bruni jumped on it because he know the alpine goirls and blue angels were ripe for the pickens. he was right.

The last all male version of the Hawthorne Caballeros was 1981. In July of that year, the Cabs performed in exhibition at a DCI show in Clifton, NJ that also featured the Cavaliers and Madison Scouts. It was the last time in drum corps history that 3 all male corps performed in the same show. The Cabs went to an all female guard in 1982 but kept the all male hornline and drumline in '83, '84 and '85. I believe it was 1986 when the Cabs became all coed all sections.

The last all male version of the Hawthorne Caballeros was 1981. In July of that year, the Cabs performed in exhibition at a DCI show in Clifton, NJ that also featured the Cavaliers and Madison Scouts. It was the last time in drum corps history that 3 all male corps performed in the same show. The Cabs went to an all female guard in 1982 but kept the all male hornline and drumline in '83, '84 and '85. I believe it was 1986 when the Cabs became all coed all sections.

Many of those 'pioneer women' of the 1982 Caballero's guard now proudly march with the Caballeros Alumni Corps guard. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

They are quite proud of their place in the corps' history, and I might add, we are quite proud of them as well!

The Hamburg Kinsgmen went coed in 1972 with a saber line of five ladies. In 1973 all sections went coed. My first wife Virginia was the first female horn player to join for the 1973 season.

The Hamburg Kinsgmen went coed in 1972 with a saber line of five ladies. In 1973 all sections went coed. My first wife Virginia was the first female horn player to join for the 1973 season.

Can you remember what year we played Eli off the line and Jerry Dunn did the solo work? I did Kingsmen around the time you were there, but as I remember it was co-ed all sections. Came up with some good guys from Johnsonburg that year.