When a corps went co-ed

Can you remember what year we played Eli off the line and Jerry Dunn did the solo work? I did Kingsmen around the time you were there, but as I remember it was co-ed all sections. Came up with some good guys from Johnsonburg that year.

i remember in 1970 we were in eire pa. it raines during the show. we were shaky. i watched hamburg from the stands. i saw a lot of guard flags hit the ground. but the drumline of colin campbel was hot that night. i went to vince bruni and told him "we're in big troble" . he poo pooed me. and early in the weel one of our guy's who went o school in buffalo said they were gonna give us trouble. well we lost to hamburhg for the first time ever. we were schoked. i went up to colin and said. " well done coach". that was a really good kingsman corps that year.

i remember in 1970 we were in eire pa. it raines during the show. we were shaky. i watched hamburg from the stands. i saw a lot of guard flags hit the ground. but the drumline of colin campbel was hot that night. i went to vince bruni and told him "we're in big troble" . he poo pooed me. and early in the weel one of our guy's who went o school in buffalo said they were gonna give us trouble. well we lost to hamburhg for the first time ever. we were schoked. i went up to colin and said. " well done coach". that was a really good kingsman corps that year.

Doesn't it always rain for drum corps in Erie?

Doesn't it always rain for drum corps in Erie?

pretty much,.................I will say, back in 2005 Sky was in town, and it was a typical Erie monsoon,..........earlier in the day Lou M. said, "it never rains on the Skyliners",..........and he was right, we got the show in, but everybody got wet on the field, except the Skyliners,...............they were trooping the stands, and as he marched by me, he winked and said, "told ya!"

pretty much,.................I will say, back in 2005 Sky was in town, and it was a typical Erie monsoon,..........earlier in the day Lou M. said, "it never rains on the Skyliners",..........and he was right, we got the show in, but everybody got wet on the field, except the Skyliners,...............they were trooping the stands, and as he marched by me, he winked and said, "told ya!"

well..........in 1975 at DCA in rochester the " SKY " opened up on them . and i mean it rained on them. i thought they would get pulled off the field like we did but i think it was so late they let them finish. and then they won. who'd a thunk??? :smile:

Can you remember what year we played Eli off the line and Jerry Dunn did the solo work? I did Kingsmen around the time you were there, but as I remember it was co-ed all sections. Came up with some good guys from Johnsonburg that year.

1973 - Eli's Coming off the line, Chester for color pre, The Look of Love concert, Proud Mary, and Theme From Shaft to finish the show. Who am I talking to??

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that Brass Inc. Minnesota Brass, was the first Senior Corps to have a female drum major. Although I am not sure of the time-frame.

Minnesota Brass was the first Senior Corps to march a female drum major' "Geni Cavitt" although I am not quite sure of the time-frame.

I believe that Brass Inc. Minnesota Brass, was the first Senior Corps to have a female drum major. Although I am not sure of the time-frame.

again... you have to stipulate what year(s) your talking about... Rochester had a female DM for years in the 1950's... but went all male for the 60's - as did most senior corps then...

The last all male version of the Hawthorne Caballeros was 1981. In July of that year, the Cabs performed in exhibition at a DCI show in Clifton, NJ that also featured the Cavaliers and Madison Scouts. It was the last time in drum corps history that 3 all male corps performed in the same show. The Cabs went to an all female guard in 1982 but kept the all male hornline and drumline in '83, '84 and '85. I believe it was 1986 when the Cabs became all coed all sections.

Not quite.

The last all male version of the Kilties was in 1997.

The 1998 Kilts featured girls in the guard and in 2000

the corps featured girls in all sections.

DCM Finlas in DeKalb, IL in 1997 was probably the last time that

3 all male corps competed in the same show. (Kilts, Madison and Cavies).

DCM Prelims in Toledo, OH in 1994 was probably the last time that 4 all male

corps competed in the same show. (Kilts, Madison, Cavies and Madison Jr.)

Edited by J.C.

This subject taxes my memory a bit, but the way I remember it is that many junior corps were all male at one time and then gradually started going co-ed. The Cadets are just one example. I guess you can say that the Cavs and the Scouts are the last of the Mohicans. Contrarily, on the DCA side it seemed to happen almost all at once. The Corps wanted to increase their size and guys were scarce. Recruiting qualified women wasn't all that difficult.