When a corps went co-ed

Brother JC, we had guy guards in both 97 AND 98...remember we had the drumline even pick up flags in the closer to help out.

Not quite.

The last all male version of the Kilties was in 1997.

The 1998 Kilts featured girls in the guard and in 2000

the corps featured girls in all sections.

DCM Finlas in DeKalb, IL in 1997 was probably the last time that

3 all male corps competed in the same show. (Kilts, Madison and Cavies).

DCM Prelims in Toledo, OH in 1994 was probably the last time that 4 all male

corps competed in the same show. (Kilts, Madison, Cavies and Madison Jr.)

• Like 1

This subject taxes my memory a bit, but the way I remember it is that many junior corps were all male at one time and then gradually started going co-ed. The Cadets are just one example. I guess you can say that the Cavs and the Scouts are the last of the Mohicans. Contrarily, on the DCA side it seemed to happen almost all at once. The Corps wanted to increase their size and guys were scarce. Recruiting qualified women wasn't all that difficult.

But St Lucy's dared to be different. They were co-ed for many years but around '65 or '66 they went all male and remained so until they disbanded.

Ray

But St Lucy's dared to be different. They were co-ed for many years but around '65 or '66 they went all male and remained so until they disbanded.

Ray

Yeah ... 64 was the last year of co-ed for Lucy's ... new unis and all-male for them in 65 as I recall ... St. Raphael's dropped the girls after the 62 season ... thank you Bishop Curtis ... he thought CYO stood for celebate youth org ... :blink: ... Oy Vey !!!!

:innocent:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brother JC, we had guy guards in both 97 AND 98...remember we had the drumline even pick up flags in the closer to help out.

Thanks brother Kemo. I stand corrected. :doh: Must be old-timers disease setting in.

I guess that would make 1998 DCM Finals in DeKalb the last show with 3 competing all male corps. (Kilties, Cavies and Madison)

Thanks brother Kemo. I stand corrected. :doh: Must be old-timers disease setting in.

I guess that would make 1998 DCM Finals in DeKalb the last show with 3 competing all male corps. (Kilties, Cavies and Madison)

That's ok bro, I had a bout with Old Timers just the other day and thought I had missed rehearsal in Racine last weekend...not to mention that I'm not marching. lol

Kemo the Elder

• 6 months later...

i remember in 1970 we were in eire pa. it raines during the show. we were shaky. i watched hamburg from the stands. i saw a lot of guard flags hit the ground. but the drumline of colin campbel was hot that night. i went to vince bruni and told him "we're in big troble" . he poo pooed me. and early in the weel one of our guy's who went o school in buffalo said they were gonna give us trouble. well we lost to hamburhg for the first time ever. we were schoked. i went up to colin and said. " well done coach". that was a really good kingsman corps that year.

I finished college in the summer of 1971 and settled in Tonawanda NY (just north of Buffalo). Had my choice of 45 minutes to Hamburg or 45 minutes to Rochester to march the next summer (1972). I choose Hamburg because I had friends there and always liked the corps from the time I was in high school - and they were coming off of some great years at the end of the 60's start of the 70's. I marched 1972 to 1976 with Hamburg - we probably competed against Crusaders 35 times in those five years and never came close to beating them. No regrets whatsoever about my choice but the Crusaders had some great corps then, especially 1972. They weren't called Fabulous back in those days for nothing:))

• 2 months later...

That's ok bro, I had a bout with Old Timers just the other day and thought I had missed rehearsal in Racine last weekend...not to mention that I'm not marching. lol

Kemo the Elder

Yeah, I was pretty much remembering guard girls in 99, as I was still on the podium in 98 and that was still all male. Auld Tymers for sure, eh Brethren?!!!

• 2 months later...

When did certain corps go co-ed?

I'm working on revising (not revisionist - Ha!) the "History of the Colts." In 1965 the then named Legionnaires (Colts now) went co-ed. How rare, or not, was this for 1965?

Thanks for any in-put.

Not all that rare. During the mid to late 60's a number of all male Jr. corps began bringing in female members, usually in the guard. One major corps, St. Lucy's Cadets, went in the opposite direction and became an all male corps.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure Sunrisers 69 when they took in an all female colour guard But berfore the guard change Lil Lindy marched Sun in the early days of the corps .But not sure of the years ,She started Bills Boys in honour of her husband Bill after his pasting .And as far as i know she was the frist female horn player in the Sunrisers ,She also was still teaching a corps on Long Island ,from Patchoc called the Blue Jays ,Blue Jays are still around and do many L.I.firemens Parades and can be seen in a few NYC parades .That was back in the mid 80s Lil was guest of honour at a Bills Boys dinner back in 85 .If i had to guess Lil Lindy marched around56-58 with Sunrisers.

Edited by Florida Sun

Pretty sure Sunrisers 69 when they took in an all female colour guard But berfore the guard change Lil Lindy marched Sun in the early days of the corps .But not sure of the years ,She started Bills Boys in honour of her husband Bill after his pasting .And as far as i know she was the frist female horn player in the Sunrisers ,She also was still teaching a corps on Long Island ,from Patchoc called the Blue Jays ,Blue Jays are still around and do many L.I.firemens Parades and can be seen in a few NYC parades .That was back in the mid 80s Lil was guest of honour at a Bills Boys dinner back in 85 .

i think the first show was an all female guard. a huge a-flg section. rome ny. 1969. i thought we beat them but the god's said..........not yet homeboy............tongue.gif