Now that the season is about to start, how many corps have members this year from another country? And which countries are represented?

That has got to be such an amazing experience coming from another country, and marching drum corps for a summer. I can't imagine how scary that has to be though, going to another country, possibly not speaking the language very well, and spending the summer with 200 strange people(members staff and volunteers) I love it when corps from other countries come and perform in Open Class or World Class during finals week. I love it during the tour videos when they interview one of the members that is visiting from another country.

And kudos to the staff and members who work through the difficulty of language barriers. One of the hundreds of things that I love about drum corps.

So what countries are represented in your corps this year?

• Like 1

Just wondering - is there an award for starting the most new threads on DCP?

• Like 2

omg! where o where to start ... um Canada is a country that likes drum corps ... many from Europe speak English very well ... in 76 I took a bus ride from Milwaukee to Kitchener Waterloo via Chicago and Detroit!

Edited by lindap

There are also large amounts of Asian students that come in, mostly from Japan, Taiwan, now Malaysia and the Philippines with the increased drum corps presence there.

But I'd still say that Canada and Europe win out for most popular.

I marched with a kid from Italy.

I could tell you some funny stories.

But this kid was a character. And he loved his experience! We didn't particularly like experiencing him.

I've heard of some awesome marchers coming from the other side of the Pacific though. But I only ever marched with this one kid from Italy...

I do also wonder how international DCI actually is though.

There are 9 people from the Netherlands marching DCI this year, check out this cool list from dutchindci.com, it has the peoples names, where they're marching in the USA and where they march(ed) in Europe:

* Jan Bakker (Euphonium) --- Carolina Crown (Marum)

* Andrea Boot (Color Guard) --- Blue Knights (Juliana)

* Demy van der Jagt (Baritone) --- Boston Crusaders (Jubal)

* Michelle van der Jagt (Baritone) --- Glassmen (Jubal)

* Erwin de Jong (Baritone) --- Colts (Con Spirito)

* David Roes (Baritone) --- Blue Stars (Beatrix')

* Krijn Verstraaten (Baritone) --- Blue Stars (Jubal)

* Melanie Verheul (Color Guard) --- Blue Knights (Jubal)

* Martijn Verstelle (Mellophone) --- Madison Scouts (Juliana)

• Like 2

Yes... come to the USA for 3 months and not actually get to see anything. Must be awesome. lol

Well, they can come back to "see" the United States after they've aged out, but the American junior drum corps marching experience is something that is fleeting and must be enjoyed while one can. I'm guessing that while they're marching, they're a bit too tired to really notice they're missing much outside the bus windows.

And God forbid they think the stretch of I-65 from my home in northwest Indiana to Indianapolis is representative of what there is to see in America! (I've learned to drive it with my eyes closed...It goes faster that way.)

• Like 2

Well, they can come back to "see" the United States after they've aged out, but the American junior drum corps marching experience is something that is fleeting and must be enjoyed while one can. I'm guessing that while they're marching, they're a bit too tired to really notice they're missing much outside the bus windows.

And God forbid they think the stretch of I-65 from my home in northwest Indiana to Indianapolis is representative of what there is to see in America! (I've learned to drive it with my eyes closed...It goes faster that way.)

yea, I'm not saying DCI is a bad experience... just that drum corps is not the ideal way to experience the USA, heh.

And your post makes me remember the time in 07, as we were heading west... one evening, the director asks if anyone was awake at 5am when we were coming out of the mountains and you could see Salt Lake City in the distance. He said it was very beautiful. The members just kinda looked at each other like "really?"

We did have a slightly extended meal in SLC, and me and another guy did jog to the mormon temple. Walked around for a few minutes, took a few pictures, and then jogged back. Of course then the first thing the hornline did when rehearsal started was run a mile, but what are you gonna do, eh? lol

• Like 1