Ratio of Hornline to Battery?

jon112780

I was looking at the Poineer 2011 video, and I counted (perhaps I was mistaken) 20 in the hornline, and 19 in the battery; isn't this kind of odd?

For instance, based on what I could easily see, there were 3 tubas and 10 snares. What's the purpose of using 10 snares when you only have 3 tubas?

How's the hornline supposed to match the battery volume-wise? It seems like the balance of the ensemble would really be effected.

Granted, I don't watch tons of DCI videos, but this is the only one that I've ever really noticed the numbers looked 'different'.

For most of the corps I've seen, the ratio of hornline to battery is somewhere between 3:1 to 4:1...

I don't get it, someone help me understand this...

There are ways to try and deal with the issue. One is to disperse the battery on-field, I've seen this done, it takes a lot of incredible drill writing and great instruction and hard work.

And I agree with John. It's obvious they didn't want to send kids home when I read the numbers described. With that corps, the main objective in many aspects is to give as many kids who want it experience and knowledge. You don't meet that goal by sending snare drummers who have showed up all pre-season and who can cut the mustard home.

And I agree with John. It's obvious they didn't want to send kids home when I read the numbers described. With that corps, the main objective in many aspects is to give as many kids who want it experience and knowledge. You don't meet that goal by sending snare drummers who have showed up all pre-season and who can cut the mustard home.

Absolutely. Not to mention, Pioneer is a different animal than every other World Class corps. They have one main goal: Provide a great experience for their members. They don't care about where they place or what their score is. They don't care if they come in dead last, it's just not important to them.

And as long as they are cool with that, so am I.

• Like 1

Absolutely. Not to mention, Pioneer is a different animal than every other World Class corps. They have one main goal: Provide a great experience for their members. They don't care about where they place or what their score is. They don't care if they come in dead last, it's just not important to them.

And as long as they are cool with that, so am I.

I totally agree with that! If their main goal is to provide a great experience for their members, then I wholeheartedly support that position, and wish more corps were about the members, and audience, experience, and not about scores, and winning. I think if more corps were about that, the activity would be bigger, and more exciting.