Phantom Regiment 1994

Two from the 80s stick out for me: 27's brilliant, monolithic, game-changing rendering of "Niner-Two" from 1981, and Spirit's epic production of "Blues In the Night" from 1983. Spirit played BITN better in 84, I think, but the massive scope of the number is what sticks out for me, the same with 27.

• Like 1

While it wasn't a "success", I thought Phantom doing Symphonie Fantastique in '85 was a big risk. Still one of my favorite PR shows and one I wish they would revisit.

While it wasn't a "success", I thought Phantom doing Symphonie Fantastique in '85 was a big risk. Still one of my favorite PR shows and one I wish they would revisit.

Great attempt. It wasn't their best scoring production, but it was a TOUGH, TOUGH musical book that I doubt any corps would take on today...

Great attempt. It wasn't their best scoring production, but it was a TOUGH, TOUGH musical book that I doubt any corps would take on today...

That music book had balls.

• Like 1

not only was the "front" ensemble broken up into pods and spread across the field...

We did that with the group I work with 2 separate times, and talk about a timing nightmare. You are all the time teaching the kids in the pit to "listen back," and now they have to play on the front of the beat. This was done without the benefit of amplification as well. Worked well both times, but was a major headache logistically to start the season both times as well.

• Like 1

Meh. In 1985, we also had 7 minutes of "Jeremiah" which is the complete definition of "tough."

Edited by Swine

Meh. In 1985, we also had 7 minutes of "Jeremiah" which is the complete definition of "tough."

...and we enjoyed that one too... It also "won" DCI.

Jeremiah has been successfully performed a couple of times since then. A bit was performed by Garfield in 1990, and by another top 12 corps ( and many marching bands) since then, but not too many other corps have successfully bitten off Symphonie Fantastique.

• Like 1

Although this is more recent (2010), Blue Devils putting City of Glass on the field was a huge risk musically. Has anyone heard the original versions?

City of Glass Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53GTa7DurnU&feature=relmfu

City of Glass Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz7UO5l-iAU&feature=plcp