Cavalier's marching technique

Sorry, should have been more specific. I was talking hornline. See the baritone behind the middle snare? That's what I'm talking about.

So you know that that baritone you're seeing isn't trying to make a MUCH larger or smaller dot to dot hit than the other guys around? No offense, but have you SEEN M Gaines' drills in the past? A snapshot only shows where the players are at that moment, not where they're coming from or going to.

Rosemont's technique is fine, and consistent, and it works for them. Everyone else's mileage may vary.

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 4

Big step sizes are big step sizes.... They're difficult with or without horns.

But they're harder while playing...

Big step sizes are big step sizes.... They're difficult with or without horns.

actually marching/ jazz running (even if big step sizes) really isn't very difficult at all when you have no musical responsibilities, as long as you are in shape and have a brain... which I'm sure most members of the cavaliers and other drum corps do.... it's actually really easy, remember visual run-throughs?

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 3

Rosemont's technique is fine, and consistent, and it works for them. Everyone else's mileage may vary.

This is really the most pertinent response to the original post. Cavaliers technique has a long history of being successful for them. Conversely, Cadets marching technique has a long history of being successful for them. Blue Devils technique has a long history of being successful for them. People who've never marched Cavaliers can disparage the technique and vis design all they want, but their opinion is moot until they've actually marched the drill. Substitute Cavaliers w/BD or Cadets and it's the same. Discussing personal preference is fine, but saying garbage like "Cavaliers are always dirty" or "straight leg is impossible to clean" etc. is just nonsense, as many many DCI Championships and High Vis titles prove those opinions wrong.

• Like 5

But they're harder while playing...

Agreed, but still hard.

actually marching/ jazz running (even if big step sizes) really isn't very difficult at all when you have no musical responsibilities, as long as you are in shape and have a brain... which I'm sure most members of the cavaliers and other drum corps do.... it's actually really easy, remember visual run-throughs?

Running straight down a field at 4-to-5's is fine, but saying that running that step size in drill without a horn is easy doesn't strike me as true. Easier than doing it while playing, absolutely. But it's still difficult.

Don't get me wrong... I've always disliked the way the Cavaliers march and how simple most of their drill is. Again, their drill writer does a great job of writing simple 4 count moves that look really hard. But, I still give them credit for when they do hard things.

• Like 1

Easy? Every step requires full attention to detail.

Every step and move had a thousand things to perfect that one might not be able to focus on while playing.

If visual run-throughs were easy for you, you weren't doing them right.

And every corps has their variation of drill difficulty. Anyone else notice the extreme bump of difficulty in the last half minute of The Cadets show every year?

Edited by TheClutch
  • Like 2

Easy? Every step requires full attention to detail.

Every step and move had a thousand things to perfect that one might not be able to focus on while playing.

If visual run-throughs were easy for you, you weren't doing them right.

And every corps has their variation of drill difficulty. Anyone else notice the extreme bump of difficulty in the last half minute of The Cadets show every year?

This is a relative thing. They might not be easy from a baseline, civilian level- but in the middle of a season, it's easy. Those kind of things should be second nature at that point.

I loved visual run throughs, because I could make everything perfect- Much of my attention was on visual responsibilities. That said, they were not hard.

This is a relative thing. They might not be easy from a baseline, civilian level- but in the middle of a season, it's easy. Those kind of things should be second nature at that point.

I loved visual run throughs, because I could make everything perfect- Much of my attention was on visual responsibilities. That said, they were not hard.

Our visual run throughs were plenty hard because we would be doing air and valve. Which is harder than actually playing and marching just because we were moving more air than we would while playing.

It's actually a great exercise I think, it really gets the air moving and you learn how to push air while moving without worrying about making a sound.

• Like 1

Our visual run throughs were plenty hard because we would be doing air and valve. Which is harder than actually playing and marching just because we were moving more air than we would while playing.

It's actually a great exercise I think, it really gets the air moving and you learn how to push air while moving without worrying about making a sound.

Don't get me wrong- we did that too, any time that we didn't play. But it's still much easier than playing.