Blue Devils or Phantom Regiment?

PhanCademy

Who has a better hornline, Phantom or BD?

First poster.... Trying to stir up the soup?

Please rephrase the question. Much depends on what season one cares to discuss.

Okay if you have so little imagination as to simply choose a year, I'll choose one for you... How about 2011 :]

Phantom but that's just me.

BD.

Phantom had some a lot more rough sounds speak through this past year, and the trumpets really struggled, especially at the beginning..

I don't believe I just said that.

Both overall sounded great though.

I don't lack imagination. When I staff, it's thought of as one of my strong points when asked to create program material. It's just that the answer would be very, very different in any given year and for very different reasons. It has nothing to do with levels of imagination.

You want 2011? I would find it pretty hard to rebut the Brass judge who had BD a full point above PR in brass at finals. :tongue:

Or someone like Saucedo, who was one of the GE Music people who had BD ahead. Not by as much- but still ahead. I would think Saucedo just might know something about DCI Horn lines, hmm!?

With some notable exceptions of late, BD has usually had an edge there in quality likely because of slightly better overall performance quality and likely more physical and mental demand while performing, even though for the most part I haven't been exactly wild about the BD programs as a fan for quite awhile. I wasn't wild about Bacharach, but then again, the PR program was still just lacking something to make it more complete.

To show you I'm not totally devoid of imagination, maybe the real question that should have been asked was whether Crown's hornline was better then PR's... :devil:

In Recent years I've enjoyed BDs sound more, if Phantom wasn't on those pesky Jupiters (I know they're improving them) they would have a "fuller" sound.

• 2 weeks later...

I would take BD's tubas and replace them for Phantom's tubas, then Phantom will be the best IMO, I just never liked Phantom's tuba sound even though I have always loved Phantom

• Like 1

(cough) Crown.

• Like 3