names of corps

An Appleknocker is an old baseball term. It means, defines someone who has the ability to smack a few home runs....ergo: knock that apple out of here. AFO&OFA HLD Sean

Wait. Appleknocker is really a non-derogatory term for people from upstate New York, where there are many apple orchards.

Really. We competed against them a few times.

G

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The publicity notices always said that the Geneva Appleknockers were named because they came from an apple producing region. The fact that there was a corps from Wenatchee, WA that was also called the Appleknockers lends some credibility to that reasoning, since Wenatchee was in an apple producing area.

The term appleknocker appears to go back to the days when apples were harvested by tapping high branches with long poles or sticks.

I always wondered about I.C. Reveries. Although it seems to be a take-off on the city of Revere, their logo was a guy in uniform day-dreaming on a cloud (A reverie). Weird. For a while we were called "The Dream Corps".

My votes for weirdest name: The Edison Lamplighters, General Putnam's Men, Mighty Saint Joe's, The Nee-Hi's (isn't that a sock??), Nesei Ambassadors (just sounds politically incorrect).

Coolest names ever: CMCC Warriors, St. Rita's Brassmen, Phantom Regiment.

I always wondered about I.C. Reveries. Although it seems to be a take-off on the city of Revere, their logo was a guy in uniform day-dreaming on a cloud (A reverie). Weird. For a while we were called "The Dream Corps".

My votes for weirdest name: The Edison Lamplighters, General Putnam's Men, Mighty Saint Joe's, The Nee-Hi's (isn't that a sock??), Nesei Ambassadors (just sounds politically incorrect).

Nesei refers to second generation Japanese Americans. Which was what the corps was primarily made up of. One of their members (Don Kaihatsu) was one of our instructors, so we heard many stories. Their hornlines absolutely rocked - I think it was World Open in 70 or 71 they took high brass, but finnished like 9th. Troopers won the show.

Think Nesei was sponsored by a Chicago post made up of Japanese-American vets and corps members were Japanese. Pretty sure the Nisei Battalion (all Japanese-American in the segregated Army) was most highly decorated outfit in WWII.

Edit: IllianaLancerContra posted while I was typing, thanks for the info. Nisei is one of the corps I wish I knew more about. If Steve Vickers ever comes out with a History of DC Volume 3 I'm going to suggest that one chapter be dedicated to corps made up of different ethnic groups. Lot of corps and social history out there waiting to be told.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Nesei refers to second generation Japanese Americans. Which was what the corps was primarily made up of. One of their members (Don Kaihatsu) was one of our instructors, so we heard many stories. Their hornlines absolutely rocked - I think it was World Open in 70 or 71 they took high brass, but finnished like 9th. Troopers won the show.

I remember that performance. (Did they play "Sabre Dance" as an opener?) Yes, they rocked the house. Pretty sure it was 71.

What a coincidence! The Warriors (from Manhattan) and St. Rita's (from Brooklyn) placed 5th and 6th respectively in that same World Open.

And thanks for the complement.

St. Rita BTW among other things is well-known as a patron of desperate, seemingly impossible causes and situations.

Another coincidence considering our history: When the parish of St. Joseph kicked us out, we thought we were done. It was St Rita RC Church who offered to sponsor us. It caused the famed Drum Corps Show Announcer give us the sobriquet "The Cinderella Corps From Brooklyn New York!"

G

Satan's Angels -- from Bellefontaine, Ohio.

Hands down, favorite. But the Geneva Appleknockers are close.

;-D