American Legion Magazine Article on DC

Owe my dad the Korea War vet one for telling me. Get my hands on the "hard copy" this weekend. Posting for anyone interest and comments.

American Legion Article

• Like 1

it's a lot more expensive to run a corps now...and look at their convention date...DCI is done and kids are back in school

I read it in the magazine Jim. An excellent article. Sometimes we tend to forget that the "seniors" arrived on the scene before the "juniors" did. Most of the guys at that time were military vets and were already 21 anyway. The one interesting sidenote that I might have added to the article is the USNA D&BC, founded in 1914 and prior to the U.S. involvement in WWI. That's the only exception that I know of.

I posted the following in the link you also put in the DCI forum.

"Dean Acheson"? Dean Acheson was President Truman's Secretary of State who helped mold United States military policy, designed the post-World War II Marshall Plan and helped create NATO.

We all know what was meant, but this is in some way kind of indicative of why the future of drum corps went one way and the veterans organizations went another.

I posted the following in the link you also put in the DCI forum.

"Dean Acheson"? Dean Acheson was President Truman's Secretary of State who helped mold United States military policy, designed the post-World War II Marshall Plan and helped create NATO.

We all know what was meant, but this is in some way kind of indicative of why the future of drum corps went one way and the veterans organizations went another.

I saw that too but didn't give it that much of a thought past "Thought it was Dan *shrug*". Now I know why Dean A. sounded familiar. Shame, especially since the author wrote some great stuff for History of Drum Corps book. Edit: Misread last night when I took a quick look, Bob Zinko did not write the article. Too bad, he should have....

Piper: As for pre-WWI corps, the corps in the picture (Boys of 76) started a few years before WWI. They were part of a Wisconsin National Guard unit IIRC and then sponsored by AL Post #76 in Racine after WWI was over. Can't think of any others at the moment.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Owe my dad the Korea War vet one for telling me. Get my hands on the "hard copy" this weekend. Posting for anyone interest and comments.

American Legion Article

Interesting stuff ... Bob Zinko and I went to the same HS in Bpt ... he was a year ahead of me ... I never knew he was in the Scarlet Knights ... many of them joined the PAL and St. Raphael's in 64 ... I remember him hanging around the Skyliners whenever we were in Bridgeport for a show in the 70's and 80's ... never knew of his passion for the AL ... I'm going to try and hook him up with Sky's Historian to see if they can help each other out with articles and such ... maybe Bob can get the AL to host an Alumni Show some year at their convention ... how cool would that be?

:-)

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

Interesting stuff ... Bob Zinko and I went to the same HS in Bpt ... he was a year ahead of me ... I never knew he was in the Scarlet Knights ... many of them joined the PAL and St. Raphael's in 64 ... I remember him hanging around the Skyliners whenever we were in Bridgeport for a show in the 70's and 80's ... never knew of his passion for the AL ... I'm going to try and hook him up with Sky's Historian to see if they can help each other out with articles and such ... maybe Bob can get the AL to host an Alumni Show some year at their convention ... how cool would that be?

Andy, do you have a copy of History of Drum Corps Vol I? Sounds like Bob saved a ton of old pics and other items just before National AL threw them out some time ago. He also wrote at least part of the chapter on the start of the AL and DC for the book.

Andy, do you have a copy of History of Drum Corps Vol I? Sounds like Bob saved a ton of old pics and other items just before National AL threw them out some time ago. He also wrote at least part of the chapter on the start of the AL and DC for the book.

I've only seens exerpts of the History Book ... mostly on the corps I was with ... I sent off a note to Bob offering to hook up somehow ... should be an interesting conversation ...

Nice to see the article highlighting the role that Doc Sebastianelli played in the drum corps activity through the years. His contributions were invaluable... especially his role in the formation of what is now DCA.

This year's Scranton show is the 50th anniversary edition of that contest. That, in and of itself, is a tribute to Doc's legacy.